Offshore buoy

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

bob lico

Offshore buoy

Post by bob lico »

Brewster and other offshore Bertram brothers Texas tower buoy 44066 is back on station .this is the best source of the wave action out there before leaving dock.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
randall

Re: Offshore buoy

Post by randall »

what was it reading yesterday? looks about 20+ out here.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

When I looked last night they had 17 footers 7.6 seconds apart . Makes a wild night for the dredges anchor 1 mile out of fire island inlet.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
randall

Post by randall »

why would they stay out? talk about rockin and rollin.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

It is a complicated issue. Takes a fair amount of time and labor to set up then use small tender to connect pipes together that will carry the sand ashore .coast guard regulation put then at top of "pecking order" for inshore but they have to give access between vessels for boats going offshore the rest of pipeline is marked and pipe is usually 4 or more feet below surface so small boat can pass over (not legally ) anyways if they remove ship pipeline would have no connection on water end causing a whipping action with wave and tide on pipeline destroying everything. So they stay put all night. Lite up.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

I take ocean parkway both ways daily. It is an awesome operation happening 24/7 They have a barge in the inlet and another 3/4 of a mile off the beach where they are piling up the sand. They have the pipe coming onto the beach, there is a mountain (guessing) larger than a football field 50-75 feet in the air maybe more. Massive dump trucks running the sand down the island. Fully operational Wednesday night with huge waves and 50-60 MPH wind.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
randall

Post by randall »

hard to believe looking at the ocean here. i wouldn't want to spend a night a half mile off shore. 10 miles would be better. especially on a vessel thats attached to something. hope they got hazard pay!
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

It does sound crazy. Just my visual observation. The boats may not have been pumping and just focused on surviving.

I was hoping someone would film a ducumentary about the process but its not happening. Could have been cool to see the operation from the inside.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
randall

Post by randall »

peter...they dredged the opening of accabonac harbor this winter (where we launched the flats boat). 24 hours a day seven days a week. one day they had the dredge head above water so i paddled up to it on my paddle board. they didn't like that much but nothing they could do about it except blow the horn. really an amazing piece of machinery. a very well thought out giant screw about 4 feet wide. real sci fi. i later found out the slurry mixture is critical. too much sand-silt and the whole 200 yard pipe solidifies. a very expensive proposition.