Off subject

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

TailhookTom

Off subject

Post by TailhookTom »

CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL THE KIDS WHO WERE BORN IN THE

1930's 40's, 50's, 60's 70's and 80's !!

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, our baby cribs were covered with bright colored lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking .

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We ate cakes, white bread and real butter and drank pop with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because......

WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem .

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, no video tape movies, no surround sound, no cell phones, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms..........WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no
La wsuits from these accidents .

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

We made up games with sticks and tennis balls and although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just yelled for them!

Football teams had trials and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned

HOW TO

DEAL WITH IT ALL!

And YOU are one of them!

CONGRATULATIONS!

You mig ht want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated our lives for our own good.

And while you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave their parents were.

Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it?!

PS -The big type is because your eyes are shot at your age

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
neil

Post by neil »

tom we are back from aruba. we fished with peter twice and i also saw norman,hope to meet you in montauk 07 neil
Doug Crowther

Off Subject

Post by Doug Crowther »

Tom,
I for one never ate a mud pie or worms but the rest of it is true enough.
The chore these days is finding a place to raise children where you can just let them go and not have a worry in the world as our parents were able to do. Our society lauds child predator freaks by imortalizing them with tv specials etc. I grew up in a town called Lynchburg, Virginia. The locals claim thats where the term "lynching" came from. I think the world would be a dramtically different place if sexual predators knew they weren't going to a psych ward, but rather out back to the oak tree for some unpleasantness.
Just my 2 cents as a parent who is raising two kids in the Balt/Washington corridor and worries perpetually (read: snipers,and pedaphiles galore etc..)
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

Dougs biggest worry is that his daughter don't meet some much younger , better lookin version of him.
Doug Crowther

Post by Doug Crowther »

Tim,
I grew up to be the person my parents warned me about. Hard drinking, womanizing, harley riding, semi-automatic weapon wielding, bilge rat with a BS in Biology-so these are all informed choices. I'm perfectly happy with that-them not so much....
However, my daughter is off limits to males of any age range into perpetuity, especially of my ilch. That child is going to make my hair as grey as yours. :shock:
Ed Curry

Post by Ed Curry »

Grey? What do you guys know about grey!
Don't lend a hand to raise a flag aboard a ship of fools!
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

you win
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

Thank God I had sons, if I had a duughter, I'd be in prison now.
I'm not sure but indecision may or may not be my problem.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

the only reason your not in prison has nothing to do with sons/daughters/cute wife(don't know what that means) It's cause Mooney covered your butt
Kingfish

Post by Kingfish »

Ed Curry wrote:Grey? What do you guys know about grey!

I refer to that as blond !!
Jim
1975 28 FBC
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

Some truth to that
I'm not sure but indecision may or may not be my problem.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

I hate to tell all you fathers of daughters that while you think they are spending the night over at Suzies house, their out doin the sausage dance with the latest hormone crazed boy.

I sat down with both my daughters, told them about sex clearly and how boys were crazed lunatics on a hormone rage beginning at 12 that starts to slow down somewhere around 60 and that they would lie, cheat, steal, murder to get the prize.

Men were no good and unreliable and it didn't matter how educated they were, or what family they came from.

Both girls were taught to shoot at a young age and often told the potential boy friends how dad liked to kill things, cut them open, rip out their guts, drink their blood, eat them and hang some parts on the wall from time to time.

It did its trick as the oldest married her first boyfriend and the youngest has a great guy she's lived with for 4 years, being only her second boyfriend.
The only problem with him was he was a liberal when they met. He is now a gun totin, middle of the road guy.

BTW, two thing helped alot.

1. Mom bought them diaries when they were 10 and we knew where they kept them and read them often and were able to head the Indians off at the path many times thus preventing us grief.

2. Many hours on our knees praying at the church alter.

I'd much rather have girls. Their easier. I couldn't imagine going thru what I put my parents thru.
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Neil: Sounds like Aruba was fun -- I look forward to meeting you as well. Thanks for the link of the picture of JR -- I got to see Norman and TIm's ugly mugs! At least they were fishing on a non-pink boat!