Exhaust manifolds

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

makomike1

Exhaust manifolds

Post by makomike1 »

I have a B28 with 1989 FWC 270hp crusaders. The exhaust risers are approx. 22years old never been changed. Some say they harldley ever go bad if they are FWC. Most of the boating has been in the cheasapeake bay.Thinking about putting new manifolds on this year. Is it time to replace or am I ok . Thanks Mike
Rawleigh

Re: Exhaust manifolds

Post by Rawleigh »

My FWC log type manifolds on my 440's date to the early '80's and are fine. They don't have risers though. Take a riser off and look inside it. If the antifreeze was changed occasionally they should be OK.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Mike-
I am in a similar position with 454s in a 31 FBC. I have been doing oil analysis at each change and have not seen any indications of coolant in the oil and otherwise normal operation. When I changed the elbows I had a look at the aft part of the manifold and it looked clean.
Maybe a peek with a boroscope from the riser???
Best,
Stephan
Possunt quia posse videntur
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

If you are in brackish water after about 7 years you are pushing it with the risers. Ask me how I know. Never got more than 8 years out of one and it cost us a valve job one time. Fresh water cooled 454's before the repower.

Now remember, only one side has fresh water, the other has salt. The exhaust manifolds should last for a long time.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Mack

Post by Mack »

I am running 454's in the mid-chesapeake as well. You need to change those risers.

As said in a previous post, you are pushing it after about 7 years. I wish I had picutures to post of the last set before they were changed out.
Mack
1973 B31 "MAKO"
makomike1

Post by makomike1 »

Guys thanks for the input. I am going to replace everything,Manifold,risers,outlet. Mike