Exhaust re-route?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Stephan

Exhaust re-route?

Post by Stephan »

Gentlemen-
After taking up the deck for a bulkhead repair I am impressed with how much space I'm missing out on by not using the under deck space more efficently. What do you think of re-routing the exhaust (454 gassers) as I've tried to indicate in the attached photo. I think by adding fiberglass 45 to the inboard exhaust hose after the riser (orange) I can move the exhaust to outside the stringer. I beleive I will have to move the muffler (gray) forward and closer to the combiner (also orange) to keep the deck the same height.
Possunt quia posse videntur
bob lico

Re: Exhaust re-route?

Post by bob lico »

I agree 100percent and have posted photo' s numerous times showing the enourmous space under the deck that can be had by moving the exhaust to outside . You must also consider the fact that the area now used by the exhaust is also the least needed ,area adjacent to chine from bulkhead to transom .you may want to take full advantage of this by moving the exhaust to the outside while it is still in engine compartment .
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Gert van Leest

Post by Gert van Leest »

Stephan ,

I thougt off doing that aswell , i don't know if you have a Glass Teck deck , I do , and if you go to that configuration , and have problems with your exhaust hose or muffler it will be a bitch to get there without taking out your deck again...
Positive thing is you make a lot of room ..

Good Luck

Gert
Women are like boats ,the older they get , the more money and professional help they need to look beautiful.
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Stephan, Use ALL the available space you can as you reconfigure your exhaust. I Moved mine outboard after listening to the guys in the sandbox, then saw it first hand in PT Judith.BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Gert-
Thanks for those thoughts. I think I have a No Tech deck... just thick plywood with stringers athwartships. Lotsa bedding compound and fastened at the fore and aft edges.
Best,
Stephan
Possunt quia posse videntur