An age old question - me thinks

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Bill B

An age old question - me thinks

Post by Bill B »

Gents,

I have a 1962 Sportfish, hull 205, Yanmar 315s, Hurth/ZF trannies, rudders that are not as small as the originals but not as big as Patrick's. The boat has the original steering - about 45' of 1-1/4 rod, 10 or so U joints, two sprockets, a bicycle chain and a gear box. 44 years, and it has had it. Time to change to a more contemporary system.

The alternatives in new steering are a) Seastar hydraulic (helm pump) or b) Seastar power steering. Is there a recommendation between the two? It certainly looks as though the power steering option is a ton more complicated (oil cooler, power and electrical motors) and possibly can leave one high and dry if you loose an engine. But, if it is worth it, I am willing to go down that road.

BTW, I will be adding an auto pilot, and re-building the rudder shelf.

I am certainly missing some of the finer details, so feel free to illuminate.

Apologies if this topic has been hammered before on the site - I searched the index and found some steering-related stuff, but not exactly on this question.

Bill B
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Bill- I have a Sportsfisherman hull 382 that had the chain/Cadillac steering box that I finally changed when I went to diesels...and you'll be very glad you did. At the time, I put in a hydnautic steering system and a Robertson autopilot and they were the best thing I did. I don't know what an engine driven power steering system is on a boat as I know no one who has one. If you have a Sportsfisherman, you have two steering stations. My starboard hull wall has shut-offs for my hydraulic lines to the bridge that separate it from the lower station (protection from total loss of both stations). The hydraulic steering is low maintenance and easily connected to your autopilot pump. If I am not mistaken my Robertson is equated with the AP-16 from Simrad who bought Robertson. Hydnautic was bought by Teleflex....I wish someone would buy me. Walter
scot

Post by scot »

I put the Seastar Helm pump in a smaller single screw boat...The BEST single addition I made to that boat, run all day and steer your boat with your index finger.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

I have the Seastar in my 72 FBC and had it on my old B25. In my view better than the Hynautic since there is no reservoir or pressure needed. Simple as pie to install with nylon tubing and compression fittings. Just add a few "T" fittings for your autopilot. Look over your tie bar between the rudders and consider replacing with a heavy stainless one with tie opints in the center for the ram and the autopilot rudder feedback.

UV
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Walter...

Re: Your comment above...

After having quite a few meals my wife cooked from your cookbook I gave her for Christmas, I might be interested in buying you.. What do you think you are worth?
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Ha- thanks for the compliment! I had to cook everything in that book before I drew the illustrations and I must say, there isn't a bad recipe in the batch! You wouldn't want to buy me right now, but like an old Bertram 31, I'm in the process of being repowered. I'll come up with a price after the second titanium hip is installed! Walter