Hello again

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Tavis

Hello again

Post by Tavis »

Hey gents. I joined a few months ago and disappeared (had a baby, started a new job and moved to Puerto Rico). Now that things have subsided a little bit, I am back on the prowl for my 31 Bertram. For starters, found one in San Juan; http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1962/Be ... uerto-Rico" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

She is a 62 redone in 01... I am going to look at the boat next week. Does anybody know the boat? First concern I have is that she has yanmar 230's for power, anybody run this? I am guessing those little 4bangers have to work real hard to push her to any cruise at all. Second concern is that they only have 300ish hours, that is like 20 something hours a year... My father and I would put that on our 31 in a weekend back in the day...

Any advise would be appreciated, this is a big investment for us and I want to buy a lifetime boat for my little family down here.

Thanks guys,

Tavis
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Re: Hello again

Post by CaptPatrick »

Tavis,

The boat was owned by Adrian Mercado, a young attorney, back in 2000. I built his console and instrument display that year... Lost track of Adrian a couple of years later, but remember that his practice was consuming all his time and other than occasional booze/dinner cruises he wasn't using the boat much. That sort of thing happens all too often with people who have deep pockets but a stopwatch lifestyle.

I do know that Adrian spent a bunch of money, the boat was professionally refitted, and he's a real picky guy with an eye for details. The pictures look great, but I suspect that they were taken shortly after the boat was finished, so it may not be in the same shape today.

Several of the guys here on the board have the Yanmar 230/240 4lh and all are happy with them. The last B31 I did, (Pat Hancock's), we installed the 240's in. He loves them, get over 2nmpg, and cruise at 24kt when conditions allow it. Tops out around 28 kt. They're good engines but you won't be the fastest B31 around. Then again you won't be far behind and your fuel bill will far less than the speed merchants.

Keep us posted...
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
micky

Post by micky »

I live in PR, you can contact Hueso here in the forum and he's a B31 owner here in PR. He has his boat in Puerto del Rey. Also check http://www.clasificadosonline.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
there is 1 or 2 B31 there for sale.
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

travis i have the same engines 230 LHA STE great engines ans as cap pat said great on fuel.
boat looks nice
1968 hull # 316 - 757
Tavis

Post by Tavis »

The fact that I knew somebody here would know this boat is why I love these boats and their owners so much! Thanks for the reply, I will let you all know how the showing goes, and will take some pictures. My son will be the 3rd generation in our family to spend his youth on a 31 Bert, so I am pretty excited to start this process!
Tavis

Post by Tavis »

Wow, two replies while I was drafting my last reply. I guess the Don Q makes me type slow!!! I will certainly contact Hueso! I was looking on Classificado earlier, but due to my lack of spanish skills (I can order beer) I think I missed them. I will be looking at the boat next Friday or Saturday... Plan to keep the boat on the SW coast as I am up in Aguadilla. Any advice on a marines?

Thanks Charlie on the response about your boat. Glad to hear they sip fuel, that is far more important to me then speed these days.... I don't think diesel is going to be getting any cheaper...
micky

Post by micky »

http://www.clasificadosonline.com/Boats ... ?ID=712314" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.clasificadosonline.com/Boats ... ?ID=690789" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JH_B28

Post by JH_B28 »

Hi Tavis,

I also live in PR. I believe the 31 you saw on yachtworld is located at Cangrejos Yacht Club, if i'm not mistaken. It's in Isla Verde, just in case you want to drop by for a look. Very nice boat.

Keep a lookout on clasificadosonline.com, as micky said. They post a few every now & then.

I'm rebuilding my B28 in the south (Salinas), so if there's anything you need just give a call.

-George
Jorge E.
1973 Bertram 28'
Yanmar 4LH-STE's
Tavis

Post by Tavis »

Good morning gents,

Looked at the boat last weekend. Capt Patrick you are correct, the boat was redone very well, your helm was covered and looked amazing!! The pics on yacht word are recent, the boat has been taken care of since she was redone. The owner was there and was very knowledgable about the boat and systems. Engines looked clean, only concern I have was a water strainer that was plumed into the fuel line. The owner told me it was because the tanks have or had algae and was clogging filters. He said he has shocked the system with biocide and the water filter has been collecting the large particular matter... It seemed like a good idea to me, question though for you guys... How much of a pain is it to clean a tank??

I will keep you guys up to speed, I think we are going to consider an offer in the next 6 weeks!
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

The windshield is beautiful looks like the capt.work.needless to say fantastic pod ,100 percent functional.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Tavis,

If you speek to Adrian again, be sure to say "HI" for me and offer him my regards. Literally, this web site is a direct result of Adrian's console pod which was the very first production mold I made for the B31.

Adrian had been over to my shop on November 24, 1999 to finalize the design of the pod. Long story short, I started bertram31.com that Thanksgiving week end, more for sh!ts and giggles, and the rest is history...
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe