Safety Reminder

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Rawleigh

Safety Reminder

Post by Rawleigh »

I just heard that a friend of mine whose family have been watermen for generations got his hand snagged on the shaft coupling and got his arm mangled. It can happen even to the experienced. Be careful out there!!! We tend to get complacent sometimes.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Harry Babb

Re: Safety Reminder

Post by Harry Babb »

OUCH! ! !

Shrimping is (or was) a big past time here on Mobile Bay. Lots of folks had some sort of "Shrimping Rig" in their yards and when the Brown or White shrimp were running the bay was full of weekend warriors chasing shrimp.

One of the local farmers built himself a small inboard boat.....tractor engine, direct drive, dry stack and a BOLT that fastened the coupling to the shaft. The bolt stuck out of the shaft coupling an inch or so.......that bolt took most of his right foot off one day.

Watch out for belts too........

hb
hb
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Rawleigh, Up here a retired baseball pitcher had a yard full of heavy equipment including a dumptruck, one day he was working on the pto shaft controlling the hydraulics, had a hoodie sweatshirt with those strings to adjust the hood...guess what got caught in the shaft? That silly string...pulled his head right in..wife found him that way..BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
Dug

Post by Dug »

Bob, that happened next town over from me... Sad.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Latest word is that he lost his bicep and his arm and hand are broken up badly.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

Bob/Dug,

That was Mark (the bird) Fidrych correct. Sad story.
Regards,

Doug L.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Bob: I have since heard that a hoodie string caused this accident as well. At least he was able to keep his head out of it. He reached for something in the bilge of his deadrise workboat and the string caught and pulled him in.

I don't understand peoples' infatuation with hoodies. Aside from the obvious safety issue of the strings and the social statement involved, they are the coldest garment I have ever worn! Maybe they have changed in the last 20 years, because I see people wearing them in cold weather. I won't wear one. I just buy a real coat instead.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

dougl33 wrote:Bob/Dug,

That was Mark (the bird) Fidrych correct. Sad story.

He died in 2009...... Torn up in a PTO.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Mike, Dug, Forgot his name but it was the Bird...you just never know..take a minute and think before you do any task with heavy equipment or machinery..BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Mike, thanks, but for $90 I'll get a real jacket! Part of my problem is I am warm blooded and need to unzip the jacket to be cool sometimes. I don't want to have to pull it off over my head. Just my peculiarity i guess!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Carl

Post by Carl »

Rawleigh wrote:Mike, thanks, but for $90 I'll get a real jacket! Part of my problem is I am warm blooded and need to unzip the jacket to be cool sometimes. I don't want to have to pull it off over my head. Just my peculiarity i guess!

Nah...

you wear da Hoodie wit pants several sizes too big so that they droop down. That will cool you from the bottom up while looking ever so stylish.

Yo...