Props

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Russ Pagels

Props

Post by Russ Pagels »

Hey guys another question, this is about props. My B31 has Cummins 6bta 250 HP. I swing 4 bladed bronze 20x23 Hy Torq light cup props. Every thing is good except around the dock. she has a tendency to lurch. My old B31 was gas powered so didn't have the torq. that I under stand. Would some one enlighten me on the difference in performance between three and four bladed props and would three bladed help .thanks again.....Russ
1972 31 FBC 315-141-1226

All that is necessary for evil to succeed
is that good men do nothing.
In Memory Walter K

Re: Props

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I cant speak to the 3 vs 4 blade part of it but what I did on my 3 blader was instead of adding pitch to get the proper rpm's at WOT, I added cup. The cup works at the upper end of the scale, when you want speed. Pitch made me move too fast at the low end (trolling, docking, etc.
dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

Russ,

I think the lurching problem is all about your gear ratio and has nothing to do with the props. In my 33 I have 300hp B-series with 1.5:1 220a's with 3 balde props and I'm doing almost 6 knots as soon I put them in gear. I bump them in and out of gear all the time. It was a bit disconcerting at first, but now I love it and would never go back. Just line it up and bang, you're in the slip.
Regards,

Doug L.
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

The 4 blades will bite more at idle then the 3 blades your in gear idle speed will be slower with 3 blades your cruise will be less efficient as a rule with 3 blades. Just learn how to drive the boat again, you will get used to it. I'll take a boat that moves when you put it in gear over one you have to throttle to move everyday

Welcome to the diesel club
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

I have 22x23, four blades, 300-6BTA's and when I was working on her a friend told me to be careful the first time I put her in gear, "cause she's going to step off smartly."
Sho nuf! At idle she does 3 1/2 knots which means she's a bit fast for striped bass. Guess I'll add trolling valves or at least one. Tried trolling on one engine dragging two five-gallon buckets, no difference.
Bump, bump, bump.
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Mickey

See how bob Lico made out with his trolling valves before spending the money
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

I have the 4 blades. I carry alot of # and it really helps climbing waves on the way offshore. I dont troll for bass though.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

What JP said; you'll get used to it and you'll get to where you are glad to have the "lurch".
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Russ

I have the 20x23 DQX 4 blades in mine with the 270 Cummins. Yes she does lurch. If everyone is positioned right not a problem. When leaving the dock I usually put one in gear. Keeps the crew from going overboard. Or if you want to fix one of the crew, you could say, please just lean over the transom and make sure I am pumping water, then pop her in gear.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
wmachovina

Post by wmachovina »

250 6btas 20x23s, what Tony said
Bill
Russ Pagels

Post by Russ Pagels »

Thanks every one, I quess it's just goingto be a learning process, spring is just around the corner...Russ
1972 31 FBC 315-141-1226

All that is necessary for evil to succeed
is that good men do nothing.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Try my ride I will show you the ultimate lurch. All cummins have a flex plate whereby some of the inertial torque is taken up by the use of springs. I have ZF Vulkan drive direct no springs. When the gears go in drive they go in no pussyfooting .i have three blade but the lurch is the same. Peter I have trolling valves on both gears but not really practical for docking. You lose propulsion both forward and backward . At one time I use to dock that boat with a minumim speed of 12 knots. Talk about lurch!!!!! Believe me you get used to it. When backing up into dock space you check wind,current and condition then let it rip ,three feet before hitting dock you slam forward, and don't drink!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473