New raw water impellors for Sherwood pumps...

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

IRGuy

New raw water impellors for Sherwood pumps...

Post by IRGuy »

On the Cummins 6B engines the original Sherwood raw water pumps had impellors that were a serious pain in the ass to remove.. there is limited room to work, and trying to pry them out of the pump casing and off the shafts with two screwdrivers or two needle nose pliers is damn near impossible, unless you own a dedicated impellor puller. I learned recently that Sherwood finally has a new design impellor in which rather than trying to pull the impellors out as above, you simply insert a 3/4" by 14 (threads per inch) bolt into the threaded outboard end of the impellor and as you screw it into the impellor it bottoms out on the end of the pump shaft, and as you keep turning it pulls the impellor off the shaft. I just installed these new impellors and just to see how easy it was I removed and replaced one of them. Easy peasey lemon squeezy!
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
In Memory Walter K

Re: New raw water impellors for Sherwood pumps...

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Would those new impellers work on the oem Sherwood pump?
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Walter..

The ones I got are for the Sherwood 17000 series pumps.. which I believe were original equipment on my 1998 engines.

If you take another size I would assume Sherwood makes them in this same configuration
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
Capt.Frank

Post by Capt.Frank »

Those our nice but don't they still have a key way to aline or a spline? The one I have changed had key ways and if they were splined they would have been the best water pumps in the world. I have a impella tool and its worth its weight
1976 FBC
3208 NA