Battery Isolator Guidance

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Harry Babb

Battery Isolator Guidance

Post by Harry Babb »

Will this work?

Or if not will you guys please guide me in the correct direction?

hb
hb
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Re: Battery Isolator Guidance

Post by mike ohlstein »

This should do it...

Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Joe E

Post by Joe E »

http://bluesea.com/viewresource/58" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=blue+sea ... ,s:0,i:110" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.cloudelectric.com/product-p/bs-20092.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
4 1/2 years to build, Slashed Sept 16, 2016. 212 hours already and counting.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Harry what did I do to deserve this? I get no respect-------------- None of those ate correct they forgot to include the three separate inputs from the battery charger to the isolation diodes.------- brother bob
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Gert van Leest

Post by Gert van Leest »

Hi Harry,

your scheme is allmost good , you forgot to put all the negatives together.

Don''t forget to buy an expensive diode splitter ( one without voltage loss..Mastervolt has those )
I dont know what kind of charger you have , but in this configuration you need one with 3 outputs 2 for the starter batterys and one for the house set.
if you have a charger with one output , put under it one diode splitter with 1 input and 3 outputs

what always comes handy is a paralell swith this can be done in a few ways , but I think if in need the best way is to parralel the 2 starter bats.

I am not a great fan of relais , there are some in the market that will switch above 13.5 volts and they connect connect your starter with your house set while underway.
On the other hand diode splitters will go bust some times.............

Good luck !

Gert
Women are like boats ,the older they get , the more money and professional help they need to look beautiful.
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Mike......I gotta say......Gert's pics come a lot closer to charging a battery or starting an engine.

Mr Lico (aka Mr Dangerfield)......how can I not have respect for you......your my hero.....

In general my question was intended to find out if it was OK to leave the alternator connected directly to the engine battery and simply tap off of the Battery terminal of the alternator to the Isolator. By the answers I am thinking that it will work just fine.

But to further elaborate......I have redrawn.....now showing the Battery Charger.....the Genset and related Battery and the grounds.

I do appreciate the help and feed back.....honestly Electrical is not one of my strengths.

hb
hb
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Gert van Leest wrote: what always comes handy is a paralell swith this can be done in a few ways , but I think if in need the best way is to parralel the 2 starter bats.Gert
Gert

Just for additional safety, would it not be wise to some how wire the house battery in to the parallel system so if per chance you koll both start batteries you can bring the house batteries on line.

Two summers ago, we had a local NJ boat loose everything out in the canyon. Drifted for a few days before the Coasties found them. They did not have a house bank but if you do why not tie it in some how?
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

iam set up were i can back feed off of either 3 of my batts
1968 hull # 316 - 757
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Harry give me a day or so I will explain the concept and make wiring diagram. Incidently This wiring saved my boat in the storm surge.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Harry: The only thing I can add is that if you have not already got the charger, buy one that will charge 4 batteries. Tying the the house batteries together with one charge lead will work in the short term, but as the batteries age you will get a charge imbalance between them because one will reach full charge before the other and that will cut the charger off, thereby leaving the other battery undercharged more and more each cycle. You can occasionally disconnect them and top them up individually, but that is a pain.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31