Thoughts on Cat 3126 420hp

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

JohnD

Thoughts on Cat 3126 420hp

Post by JohnD »

I've come across a decent deal on a set of 3126's for my B35 cost is a little less that it would be for 6bta's and they will come with rebuilder warranty and good local support.

I've read what's no boatdiesel and it seems that the 3126's are better than the 3116's. Also, these motors will have all of the CAT updates.

Anybody have any experience with these motors in a B35?

Thanks,
JohnD
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

John, is that enough ponies to drive the boat at where you want to cruise?
The tubb is getting 400per side and should crusie at upper 20's(on a dead calm day, cause we all know it has a sheet of plywood for a bottom)
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Timmy, the day the Tubb of Guano hits the upper 20s under its own power I'll kiss your ass at noon on 5th Ave. in NYC.

Yo fren'

UV
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

John,

I don't have experience but have heard descent things about them. I'm told the 420's will not hold up as long as the 350's but I would rather have the speed since i don't put tons of hours on my 35'. If I was going to repower I would highly consider the 3126.

Ryan
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

UV, I'll use the proceeds from the tickets I'll be selling at THAT event to pay for both yours and my ticket to the UVI 8, hell there probably be enough that I can fund the proff(for a change) and bring Kathi. It will be held a Carins, right? If it's just TSL I'll probably be able to pick up the whole tab, and the bar bill

You gonna have time for lunch durning our st pats day visit?
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

No, probably not. We have private security in our neighborhood, and they already have your mug shot on their computer. Now maybe we can meet at Andre's house for some boiled crawfish, he does the best. Look forward to seeing you, leave the wife beater shirts at home, please.

Yo fren'

UV
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Hell Timmy, I knew we would finally here the truth for once about the Hatt. TUBB!,
cause we all know it has a sheet of plywood for a bottom)
at least RLDT's have FIBERGLASS BOTTOMS in them!.

R,
DQ
JohnD

Post by JohnD »

Timmy, Yeah the 420's will be good should yield a mid to high 20's cruise at 2200-2400. So what power are you going with for the new improved tubb?

Than Rayan, I hope it all comes together though will probably take most of this year to complete.

UV, boy that's a high stakes bet even though the odds are 6billion to 1 in you're favor even a blind squirl finds a nut every now and then...

br,
JohnD
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

John, a set of hopped up oil slinging dump truck motors will be in the engine bay. Economical solution came up and I jumped on it. Bit more work than the cummins remans(we got to do the reman) but it fit my budget constrants.

Doug, at least its thick plywood.

UV , kathi threw all the wife beaters out, said you sent her a email prompting her actions.
scot

Post by scot »

Timmy,

Are you hav'in those sweet little howlers remaned?
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

mostly.
Capt.Frank

Post by Capt.Frank »

John,
My dad had 315 hp 6 bta in his 74 B35 it had a cruise of 24-25 knts and WOT 27-28 knts. I don't remember the gears. From what I have found the other B35, even the ones w/ 350-370 hp don't have much more speed so if those 3126 are 420 hp will be more than enough power. I am not sure of the history of that motor @ that hp. The only 3126 I know are only 300-350 hp range. Everyone that has them are happy. Good luck.

Do you have any current pics of the B20 ?

Frank
1976 FBC
3208 NA
scot

Post by scot »

Thuddster... I'm just a simple southern boy, but I don't believe I recall a spray paint brand named "mostly" We have Krylon, Sherwin Williams, etc but the local stores don't stock any paint named "mostly"....must be a regional brand for you guys up North.

Your Bus Motor fren,
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

Scot, all the "stuff" is off them. Man are they proud of thier work at the radiator shops. Phone estimate to boil out the oil cooler, heat exchangers, fuel coolers, and whatever I forgot was a grand...huh???? guess I'll be calling UV for the correct ratio's of murric acid and water, and"burn at night". Turbos are all in tolerence, good for me. the injectors, and fuel pumps are at the exchange place the starters and alternators are at the rebuild place(alt's are the cool rear mounted ones, with a replacement tag of 1400.)
The inviroment that they previously lived in wasn't nearly as protected as the tubb's , so there's a signicant amount of rust slag that is being removed. grinders and heat have convinced some of the erant bolts to get back on the program.
Mech did a compression test and was very pleased. Also borescoped the cylinders, so the current thinking is to not do the full rebuild. Just a new set of crank bearings, cause it's easy. the motors had a max of 700 hrs from new, just hadn't seen much use lately.
They did come with TD 506's with whatwe think will be a close match to what we need for ratio's.

What kinda paint do the commercial guys use? that will stick to a half assed to resonable prep job?
34Hatt

Painting

Post by 34Hatt »

Timmmy
If you have some rust still left use Por-15 then recoat on top of it while it is still a little tacky. That stuff sticks to everything can't get it off your skin for days. So let the Convicts do it. I was going to do mine with awlgrip or sterling but after researching on Boat Diesel just went with rustoleum. I am happy with to end result and its easy touch up.
Dan
1967 Hatteras
34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Timmy,

Since being here ten miles west of nowhere, TX, I've found the best rattle can paint is Hammerite Rust Cap. Beat the socks of or Rustoleum...

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/us ... =1525&BASE

Br,

Patrick
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

Capt Pat added the link. thanks
Dan, whats that primer and where do it come from?
Good flight back?
I'll try and get a few pics to you of the motor mess to add to the hatt page your doing for me, and you see the snapfish link kathi set up?
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

timmy
like i said before i can get you cans to match the yanmars, grey
JohnD

Post by JohnD »

Capt. Frank,

At the bottom of this page you can see a couple of pic.

http://mysite.verizon.net/dunker/ladyd/

I can't say I'd be sorry if she didn't sell, but if I can move it on then I'd free up some time and capital for the repower.

Timmy, good luck with your work. I shake my head when I think of taking on that kind of a rebuild (boat and motors). Can't wait to see ya at Atlantic City, you ought to be able to make it that far when your done.

br,
JohnD
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

john
he might need a stong north , n east wind for that trip
randall

Post by randall »

spray paint rebuild......engine was pulled to fix tranny....starboard engine done in boat

Image Image Image
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

nice work, rannnndallllllllllll, but nothing is double clamped. whats up with that? and when are you coming up to do mine?
randall

Post by randall »

all raw water hoses are double clamped .in and out ....out of boat shot was just a workshop fit together... im pretty sure you can run a spray can without adult supervision....
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

John, never had a problem making a c before. just climb in the truck and hit the key............... with the tubbbb, well I'll be lucky to make the cape cod cannal
Got find someplace other than the 300 a night hotel to stay , if kathi and I are going to make it this year

Rannndallllllllllllllll, you've been wrong before. I'll try to find a adult before I attempt
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Nice work Randall.
How much blood and skin you loose changing plugs?
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Why would you need crank bearings if they have only 800 hours?
You have journal rust?
Did it have a fuel wash out problem at one time?
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

just cause it was easy. No issues found, on anything, other than a load of corrosion, external, as in really leaky engine boxes.
Bruce does the phone estimate of a grand to boil out the cooling system, oil cooler , seem excesive?
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Yes if its for one oil cooler and one heat exchanger.
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

2 motors worth. If it's still over the top, and I can't find any place cheeper, is it a DIY project? And if I do find someplace cheeper, is there any key ?'s to make sure it's done right?
randall

Post by randall »

bruce...the first time it litteraly took all day...eight hours..and it wasn't fun...over the years i developed a system of the right tools and the right approach and i can do em all in less than an hour....i use a flat ,stubby ,press steal open end wrench and a hex head plug socket...i can move it up and down and back and forth as needed............and most important...........i dont even try to look
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Timmy,
Down here that would be a 600 to 700 job for 2.

I quit doing them myself cause it isn't cost effective and there's just nowhere where I can dump massive amounts of muriatic acid without screwing up the environment.

It isn't hard, but the key trick is pressure testing the tube bundles after they're cleaned to check for possible leaks. Not particularly from cleaning but possibly from a solder crack that corroded over and now is clean from the acid.

1/2 the bundles I take in need some sort of solder work.

Save the money on replacing the bearings and get the bundles cleaned and checked.

Do a 50/50 mix if ya want to clean them yourself. Wear a mask even if outdoors.
Make sure you give them the Baptist preachers baptism treatment.
Trey Dibrell

Post by Trey Dibrell »

The truth is he had to pull the engine to change the plugs.

Da Judge
randall

Post by randall »

trey....the truth is that while that engine was out i did everything i could think of that goes on between them......including changing the plugs.....its not as bad as it looks and you also have access from the tranny and rudder table hatches.......whats up in texas?
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

Bruce, I'll call around. Not really intested in "burning at night" but there is a storm drain just outside the shop.
34Hatt

Post by 34Hatt »

Tim you don't have to burn let the Convicts do it just keep a Eye on them!!

http://www.por15.com/ This is the stuff for the rust.
And as Capt Pat said there is better paints I just got a little lazy and wanted something fast and of the Home Dumpo self!!! Plus I like that I buy a small pint can to touch up with a brush.

Like Bruce said I found it weird that you were doing mains I can see doing pan gasket and seals. I would have him pop one or two and if they look good which they should with 800 hrs put them back. spend money on cooling last thing you want is OVERHEATING.
Dan
1967 Hatteras
34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

neat stuff. wish I saw the cleaner before. I'll get a order together
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Timmy:

One of my dockmates has 210hp 6b cummins in his Slampage -- given that they are 1987 vintage, he was nervous about acid. However, being the cleaver plumber that he is he set up his acid pump and literallu boiled his raw water cooling system.

I think he used nothing but hot water, no acid. He might have thrown some amonia in -- I'll check with him and post later.

He said it worked well, nothing chewed through his cooling system, and he now runs 5 degrees cooler. He was not overheating, just doing some preventative maintenance.

Tom
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

Tom that would be great. I'll send you a coupon for a discount at bed & bath so you can get yourself another duvet in return
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Timmy:

I will see him this weekend and confirm -- nice to know a plumber who is a boat guy. He said no way was he putting acid in that plumbing for even 5 minutes. I believe he used warm sudsy amonia and pumped it through for an hour.

Regarding the duvet -- Krista is in charge of all things domestic, so you might as well have Kathi send it right to her. Good timing, with Valentines day coming, either that or a new washing machine!

Tom
34Hatt

Acid wash

Post by 34Hatt »

Timmy check out this page http://www.samsmarine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1483
Karl AKA genisus wrote up on the OTHER forum..
You have a problem of starting the motor but you can still use this concept and flush with fresh water and baking soda then fresh water again.

Or better yet scrap them and buy these!!!!!
http://www.samsmarine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5620
Don't worry I will lend you my shoe horn!!!
Dan
1967 Hatteras
34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

great 12 cylinders of, just what the f**k was I thinking. very clean though.
Karls so smart, I wish some of my other friends would be that clever, when they grow up.
Tom, be looking for the delivery truck.
neil

Post by neil »

timmy jr and i went fishing in aruba today,jr was wearing a huns old hat shirt and we caught only little fish .tomorrow we will wear bertram shirts we will post the results. tailhook tom we saw norman yesterday
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Timmy: Krista loved the new duvet and said to tell you the check is in the mail
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

Glad to help