Head/shower sump?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

bbtiller

Head/shower sump?

Post by bbtiller »

In the head for the FBC was there a originally a sump under the floor? I'm looking for parts to replace the floor and counter/sink for the head, also counter for the stbd side forward of the head. 1976 FBC. If no parts to be found, any suggestions on how to build the floor w/ drain & sump?
BRUISER
BERG1552M76F-315
Bradley Tiller
Capt.Frank

Re: Head/shower sump?

Post by Capt.Frank »

Mine is a 76' I have a drain in floor to bildge, but no sump.
1976 FBC
3208 NA
Pete Fallon

Re: Head/shower sump?

Post by Pete Fallon »

bbtiller,
The 31's did not have showers from the factory, if there is one it was put in by a previous owner. The shower floor is a fiberglass molded pan, that goes half way up the 3 bulkheads, the sink counter top is a molded part that is attached by screws to the lower pan and into the bulkheads. There are 2 peices of etched/fluted glass under the countertop along with a shelf. The head pan is all one piece with a small hatch next to the raised base of the toilet. I doubt if your going to find an intact head pan, countertop and shelf where the original toilet was placed. Your better off doing your own fabrication with modern materials such as Corian for the counter and sink tops and drawers for aditional storage and you will have a much more functional toilet area.
My 1961 express has 2 drains in the floor pan, one forward near the door and one aft near the toilet base, these just drian into the bilge area, they are sealed with epoxy around the drain tubes, the bottom of the pan is un-treated plywood that will rot if not sealed around the drains. I have a hand held pressurized cold water shower that attaches to the stainless steel single lever faucet in the head. Never used the boat shower in 34 years, that's why most marinas have there own showers and hot water systems. The water supply was only 18 gallons, mainly for washing the fish blood of of your hands and the faucets were single hand pumps, not pressure water systems and there were not any hot water heaters on board. Youv'e got to remember that the 31 was designed as a day boat not a long range cruiser, the idea was to run out catch fish and run back all with-in a day.
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61