5200 Shelf Life

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Keith Poe

5200 Shelf Life

Post by Keith Poe »

Not sure if you guys know this but if you put the opened tube in a plastic bag remove the air and toss it in the freezer it will last a very long time.
I use one over a year.

I have taken oil and water based paint tools brushes rollers etc. and tossed them in plastic bag and in a bucket of water sealing out the air with good results and believe this could also work with 5200.
Sportsmen Conservation Sustainable Harvest Accountability Integrity with the spirit of a Warrior.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Re: 5200 Shelf Life

Post by CaptPatrick »

Good tip, Keith...

Another technique, that I use, is to remove the nozzle, clean it out good, insert a 1/4" bolt or #12 screw into the tube tip and wrap it with tape before tossing it into the fridge. I have an office sized fridge, set at about 40ºF just for chemicals.

Another tip, if you do fiberglass, is to wash out the "throw away brushes" with the proper solvent, (acetone for polyester/vinylester or denatured alcohol for epoxy), and then store the brushes in a sealed container of the proper solvent. I've got "throw away brushes" that are over 5 years old. Same for rollers...
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

5200 lasts forever. I just cut a hole in a soft spot of the tube when I need some......
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

mike ohlstein wrote:5200 lasts forever. I just cut a hole in a soft spot of the tube when I need some......
Yeah this works great.

...but tossing tube back into tool draw for the next time always seems to make a mess.
However, the up side to that is it's a real good way to keep your tools together :)
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

I don't need those feeler gauges any more anyway....
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Peter

Post by Peter »

I don't need those feeler gauges any more anyway....
ROFL

Using 5200 drives me crazy because of the way it gets all over everything and continues to ooze from the tube even if you take the pressure off the caulk gun.

My use is generally in smaller amounts. I NEVER cut the tip off the nozzle. I unscrew it and set it aside. Then I squish a little 5200 onto a scrap of wood or carboard and work it from there with whatever stick, screwdriver or putty knife is appropriate. The nozzle screws back on as a cap as soon as I am done dispensing about what I need. This keeps the ooze factor down so I don't find myself dripping it on the floor and walking through it tracking it everwhere, or inadvertently putting my hands in it and getting it all over the work or my tools. Clean up the tools you do use and any on you fingers or workpiece with denatured alcohol which is cheaper and handier than acetone or other more aggressive solvents. My tubes of 5200 last a couple of years like this. And I don't waste gobs of it to the ooze factor. They also sell 5200 in smaller tubes that aren't made for caulk guns, but if I don't use the whole tube on one job those clog up on me and become useless, so I still buy the caulk gun version

I find large wire nuts work pretty well for various caulk tube caps.

Peter
Carl

Post by Carl »

mike ohlstein wrote:I don't need those feeler gauges any more anyway....

At least you can get yours out of the draw...
Keith Poe

Post by Keith Poe »

5200 also has a aluminum seal on the bottom of the tub for caulking guns.
Sportsmen Conservation Sustainable Harvest Accountability Integrity with the spirit of a Warrior.
Keith Poe

Post by Keith Poe »

CaptPatrick wrote:Good tip, Keith...

Another technique, that I use, is to remove the nozzle, clean it out good, insert a 1/4" bolt or #12 screw into the tube tip and wrap it with tape before tossing it into the fridge. I have an office sized fridge, set at about 40ºF just for chemicals.

Another tip, if you do fiberglass, is to wash out the "throw away brushes" with the proper solvent, (acetone for polyester/vinylester or denatured alcohol for epoxy), and then store the brushes in a sealed container of the proper solvent. I've got "throw away brushes" that are over 5 years old. Same for rollers...

Thank you Patrick i'll be putting that to good use.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

One other trick and it works for types of caulk and sealant, it to take liquid tape or plasti dip and seal the tip with it. Just dip it in or paint it on. Peals right off the next time you need to use it.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315