Won't float....but smooths out the road! ! ! !

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Harry Babb

Won't float....but smooths out the road! ! ! !

Post by Harry Babb »

hb
hb
bob lico

Re: Won't float....but smooths out the road! ! ! !

Post by bob lico »

harry i did not mention when we put the beast out of the trailer i took a little spin in parking lot the movie director assistant ask if i wanted to be a extra in tv movie i decline.actually the actor himself drove the car after we went over it with him. should be on next tuesday night at 9pm EDT. history channel. the men who built america.i through capt. patrick would be more fitting.had a lot of fun and that 1900 era garage is tops cannot see how the captain used those iron wrenches .S shape open end wrenches real cool.have fun on bike i am not "allowed anymore"

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Bob.......I LOVE that car......

I could really get into a car like that......would never know where to start......but if one fell out of the sky right in my lap....I would take it and run like the wind......COOL RIDE! ! ! ! !

hb
hb
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i have some really cool pictures of the original first race of the vanderbilt race .all pictures posted in this garage .there is the co-driver hanging on to the spare tire that fell off back of car now he is holding it for rest of race.she won two years in row in 1909 and 1910 .i will photo engine and post you would love the machine work in the grease fittings.i tried four times to ride that big wheel bicycle no way to balance your self to start out.first race at the indy 500 (1912)she ran 100mph this year she had a invite along with 5 1930 thru 1950 vintage ran two laps and mario andretti greeted her in winners circle great day for howard the owner.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Chain drive to boot...nice ride Bob...Bete Noir? Translation?...I could see you as an extra in a movie...foot stuck to the floor...bet she can beet feet too...nice to see old things being kept alive...young guys need to see how simple things were built...they were meant to last...not like today....engineers take note...Harry Babb you going back to your youth?> Enjoy the ride...red white n blue..meet you at tacky jacks soon...BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Bob h the translation is " the beast" the car is exactly the same as it was the day it took part in the first Indy 500 in the year 1912. It was put in the vanderbilt garage then museum. Howard purchase from museum along with mrs Chrysler custom limo one of one 1937.they also have modern day cars I did a burnout in parking lot after tune up not appreciated !1965 Shelby mustang 500 signed across the visor by the man himself.american ingenuity by alco (whom started making steam locomotive afterward) is incredible. Model t ford at this time 20hp and the beast was 100hp!!!! I think the Mack trucks were also chain drive during this era.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Bob wrote:I think the Mack trucks were also chain drive during this era.
Thats correct Bob.....not sure if all of them were chain drive.

I was told that there were 2 reasons for the chain drive.

1. The differential could be hard mounted to the frame and not have to deal with severe drive shaft angles and the chain drive system had enough slack in it to deal with suspension movement.

2. A simple sprocket swapout could easily change rear gear ratios for off road terrain applications.

Did you know that some of the trucks were outfitted with Belts between the Drive Axel and the Tag Axel ?.....

Mack Trucks ! ! ! That's was ONCE a true AMERICAN ICON......The Daisy Red Rider won the wild wild west and Mack Trucks tamed the heavy haulin world.

You guys ever see Mack Marine Engines????

hb
hb
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Harry thanks for the info . At first I could not believe solid mount engine,like I said I will post more photo's .i was told Autocar was the the big guys in the trucking industry , I guess not.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Harry Babb wrote: Mack Trucks ! ! ! That's was ONCE a true AMERICAN ICON......The Daisy Red Rider won the wild wild west and Mack Trucks tamed the heavy haulin world.
Mack got us as far as they could, but as roads began to be paved and freight needed to cross the Rockies via road, it was Consolidated Freightways that took us the rest of the way. They developed the bigger engines that took us to the present. Those larger engined beasts came to be known as Freightliners. I believe that Freightliner is the largest truck manufacturer in the country today.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
John F.

Post by John F. »

Harry-

Nice toy. Looks like fun.

John
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

some seriously nice toys !!
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly