Fuel Tank Replacement

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

dpflaumer

Fuel Tank Replacement

Post by dpflaumer »

I know this is a Bertram 31 site, I was hoping to get some advice anyway.

I own a 1983, 26ft Bertram Sport Convertable. I have been reading all the posts concerning older fiberglass tanks and the damages done by ethanol fuel. Today I removed the inspection plate and looked inside. It was clean as a whistle. No signs damage or leaching of the resins? It looked brand new inside. I could not see the whole tank though, just a section.

I am planning on repowering in the spring and am nervous about the tank causing problems in a new motor. I would rather not have the added expense and hassle of replacing the original tank if I don't have to. Is it possible my original tank is OK? I have been putting ethanol laced fuel (10%) in the boat for the least 3 years and ran through over 2,000 gallons of fuel.

Thanks for any comments.
In Memory Walter K

Re: Fuel Tank Replacement

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Clean is what Ethanol does (first) so seeing clean is what you should expect. The only thing in your favor is that yours is a 1983 boat. Before I would spend the money on a repower I would want proof that the 1983 tanks were ethanol proof
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

DPFlaumer,
Like Walter said ethanol is a cleaning agent along with the mass murderer of older fiberglass fuel tanks. If you don't have any of the symtoms of ethanol related problems leave it alone. I would invest in an inspection camera (Harbor Freight) for around $100.00, comes in handy for other boat related issues also.

I would remove both the fuel fill and pick-up plates on the tank top, make sure the tank is empty, put the camera into the tank and really get a good look at the baffles, baffle rivots, signs of flaking gel coat, blisters or brown goo deposits. Also check your fuel pick-up lines to make sure that they are alcohol rated lines, if not the corn juice will eat the inner linings out of the old style supply lines. If you've run that much corn juice thru the engines without any problems your really lucky so far.

Most of the later model OEM Bertram fuel tanks had a label on the aft end stating that the tank is not to be used with Methenol fuels. I have seen the label on 26's, 28's and 31's.

If you are going to repower and have any signs of ethanol damage replace the tank before the repower. A new fiberglass vinylester tank is expensive( a 233 gallon tank for a 31 is around $ 3,000.00) and a new aluminum tank will only last around 12 years in a wet enviroment such as a boat bilge in hot humid climates( South Florida- 12 years is the max life of an uncoated aluminum tank).

So far you've been very lucky with the corn juice, if your repowering with diesel you can reuse the tank, have it cleaned professionally and then just add return line fittings, my suggestion is to have it pressure tested way above the normal 3 to 5 pounds PSI, if it holds, re-use the tank if not, go for a new tank. I pressure tested my tank 1961 31' Express 170 gallon fiberglass that never had any ethanol in it, to 25 PSI it held air for a week and didn't blow-up, it's still in the boat 18 years later and still no corn juice ever in the tank.

If you have any doubts in your mind about the tank even after going through all the check-out proceedures, replace the tank, it's a question thats going to be in the back of your mind forever if you don't do it. If it was my boat I would keep the old tank if it passes all the tests. Hell your going to need the $3,000. for other things in the boat, Good luck.
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
Peter

Post by Peter »

Peter,

I had no idea the inspection cams were getting so inexpensive. You can bet there will be one in my tool kit pretty soon at this price!

Some people dump on Harbor Freight because a lot of what they sell is at the cheapo end of the spectrum, but I have had pretty good luck with their stuff as long as I am expecting to get an "occasional use" tool, not a daily workhorse.

Here is a link:

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsea ... n%20camera

Thanks for bringing it up

Peter
Carl

Post by Carl »

First...welcome! It don't make a difference whether or not you have a 31...or a Bertram for that matter.

My first fill up with pure 10% ethanol had me limping back to the dock...I'm thinking that if you passed 2000 gallons thru your tank it is handling the ethanol.

Inspection-
Expect tank to be clean...alcohol clean tank whether it reacts with the Resin or not.
Flaking gel coat or no Gelcoat on inside may be a warning.

Pressure test can't hurt.

But, if your tank is being attacked your going to see it in the motors. Easiest way is to look at your spark plugs. Black and tacky is not what you want to see. It is a sign that is not mistakable...stuff is like wet tar.

As your repowering anyway...pull intake or carb...look for another tell tail...hard Tar like stuff coating the base of Butterfly and lining the inside of the intake...carbon is somewhat normal...but is dry and hard. This stuff you can leave an imprint with your fingernail.

If your plugs read correctly, I wouldn't worry about it till they up the allowable % of Corn juice to go higher then 10%.
To tell the truth...by the time your plugs get Black and Tacky you'll be having motors running like crap at best...

Gas repower or Diesel?

If motor are fine...I'd lay money that the tank is good as well... and I don't bet. Ethanol related issues anyway.

However... a pressure test still can't hurt.

Carl