Yanmar BY series

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Chiles

Yanmar BY series

Post by Chiles »

Bruce,
Have you seen or had the service training on the BY series? I'm wondering if they can be mounted in a B26 Sterdrive where the engines are 28" on center. By the looks of the drawings, I don't think they can.

Chiles
Doug Crowther

Post by Doug Crowther »

Chiles,
Giving up on the rotary's already?
Doug
Chiles

Post by Chiles »

Doug,
No, I have not given up. But with the prospect of replacing the fuel tank and the cost of gas.... I've always wanted diesel and theses new BY series bolt right up to my existing outdrives.

Bolt in Yanmar power. The B26 is still not big enough for the overnighters I want to do. I've got a big case of the 5-foot-itis.

When are you going to tackle your AC leak?

Chiles
Terry Frank

Post by Terry Frank »

Not to sound stupid but what exactly do they bolt up to??

Thanks,

Tery
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Terry,
They bolt up to the transome plate.

Chiles,
We were supposed to see them back in June, but they were delayed. They are supposed to have them at our annual dealer meeting next month but I'm not to impressed with the prelim information I'm hearing.

This is one reason I have gone with Steyr in the 90 to 250hp and a soon to come 300.

Yanmar waited until the last minute and BMW has rushed production of the new series thru without a whole lot of testing. Don't rush into anything.

The Steyr has the Alpha and Bravo packages also and you will be impressed with my report when I return.

Pricing on the new BY series is increasing quite a bit.

We're heading out tomarrow for some ridin and when I return next week I'll get after that report to you all.

One teaser for you all.
The engine series will run without sea water without over heating up to 2000 rpm under load.

Pulled the impeller and ran the engine on the test stand all day from idle to max rpm with no overheating.
The engine design is awesome.
randall

Post by randall »

bruce....could you explain a little more how this is possible.....pretty amazing claim.....i think
Chiles

Post by Chiles »

Bruce,
Now we are talking. I'm not sure if I can justify it, but I still really want diesel. Rotary works and works well, but it is as fuel effecient as a V6 with the same 210 HP. I'm hoping that ethanol will not be an issue in the future for deisel, because I really like my fiberglass fuel tank.

At this stage, I am going to continue to enjoy Rotary, but am doing heavy research in the new light weight stern drive diesels. When you go to your meeting, can you find out what is the minimum distance these engines can be mounted together? I have the newest Alpha drives with 2.0:1 gear ratios and are 28" on center.

Chiles