Question

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Keith Poe

Question

Post by Keith Poe »

I have a lot of carpentry work to do before i start glassing everything in.

Is there something i can use to seal the lumber as i shape it before glassing it that will keep the termites at bay till i can get the glass over the new lumber that the resin will adhere to ?

Thanks in advance.
Sportsmen Conservation Sustainable Harvest Accountability Integrity with the spirit of a Warrior.
Joe E

Re: Question

Post by Joe E »

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/us ... CPES+Epoxy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I use Smiths system on anything that I leave bare wood or I thinK might get accidently submerged in water.

BUT...... Really I think your overthinking it. If you are using a good marine plywood, AAX or ABX. I wouldn’t do anything to it except keep it dry in the time period before you glass it. termites are not really a concern. Joe
4 1/2 years to build, Slashed Sept 16, 2016. 212 hours already and counting.
Keith Poe

Post by Keith Poe »

Thank you Joe

I'm using aluminum decks no plywood and there is still termites in the rest of the boat why I'm concerned i killed thousands as i removed the old wood.

when i start milling out all the beams sawdust will be every where it's going to be like chumming sharks and i would hate to have to redo the decks again in as few years.

Sportsmen Conservation Sustainable Harvest Accountability Integrity with the spirit of a Warrior.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Give the little buggers something to eat: Diatomaceous Earth...

I used DE in Hancock's B31 to combat carpenter ants that kept jumping down from the trees. They loved it, gobbled it right up, and died a painful death as the microscopic fossilized remains of diatoms, (80-90% silica), cut their guts to ribbons. A 25 lb bag will cost around $20 and be more than enough to see you through completion.

Just about all insects will eat it and die just as surely. Totally safe for all animals and humans, just don't get it in your eyes...
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
CapnTony

Post by CapnTony »

We raise chickens who came down with mites from wild birds. A couple of doses of DE took care of the citters; great stuff.

Capn' Tony
B33'
Roamin' Beauty
Buju

Post by Buju »

Looks like your making good progress on that grinding Keith, despite the dreading and loathing...

Off the wall question... Could one use the diatomaceous earth as a thickener for resin as well?
Like colidial and/or aromatic silica?
I know that it is a very commonly used solid in paints... which is why I ask.
I don't know what the world may want,
But a good stiff drink it surely dont,
Think I'll go and fix myself...a tall one.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Mark,

I'm sure that you could, DE has tons of uses. Being mostly silica I'm guessing that it's thixotropic. It packs down, unlike cabosil but I haven't done any testing or cost comparrison between the two. Other uses for DE...
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe