Bertram 42 engines out????

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Todd Pearce

Bertram 42 engines out????

Post by Todd Pearce »

HI, the b42 Iam looking at has 6v92s and they are in need of some love,i`d like to pull them and do the engine room at the same time,has anyone done it before? its a 1981 model with a single door and a large window to strbd, how do they come out? thanks for reading this ,any thoughts would be great
Todd
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Re: Bertram 42 engines out????

Post by CaptPatrick »

Todd,

The entire cabin/cockpit bulkhead is removable... All of the cockpit tackle/furniture modules have to be removed first. Lot of tedious work to remove and preserve for re-installation. Engines are then moved into the cockpit via strongbacks and chain falls. Figure at least a week just to R&R the bulkhead and other components.

Br,

Patrick

kiffa75

Post by kiffa75 »

Hey Capt Pat that 42 in your picture was bought by my friend and it parks right next to us. She is in excellent condition.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

kiffa75 wrote:Hey Capt Pat that 42 in your picture was bought by my friend and it parks right next to us. She is in excellent condition.
The world is getting smaller!
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Your dealing with heavy iron there.
I Did two 42's. Removed bulkhead per Pats post. Yes lots of work in/out.

I used a heavy aluminum i beam frame over the engine supported by posts to the hull and pads to spread the load. Had a ratchet chain fall front and rear of engine.

Once up they were lowered onto a rail and rolled out into the cockpit so a crane could pick them up because the weight of the engines with the boom out exceeded capacity of the crane extended load. A crane large enough to handle the fwd extended load would have to large a head to fit under the bridge and remove with the engine connected.

Rails need to be supported not just with deck but with supports under the deck to the hull with load distributed out otherwise the engine weight will collapse the standard deck supports cause theres a good chance on a Bertram there is some rot.

Remove engine and gear apart for less weight.
Todd Pearce

Post by Todd Pearce »

Hi,thanks so much,, sounds like a lot more work than I bargined for,I just got the survey report this morning,and i think I might be better of finding one thats in beeter contition, cheers for all the help