Back in Action

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Keith Poe

Back in Action

Post by Keith Poe »

Finally healed up no more excuses time to grind.

Rudder Pictures link

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 4eec2f9b4c

Sportsmen Conservation Sustainable Harvest Accountability Integrity with the spirit of a Warrior.
Keith Poe

Re: Back in Action

Post by Keith Poe »

Thought i would share today's progress

Took the exhaust ports to a plating shop today they are going to blast and nickel them $120.00

Picked up a 50-1/2" x 1" Round bar of 304 S/S today and took it to a hardware and machine shop to have it threaded and they both declined said it would ruin the dies so i used my portable threader with axle grease with WD-40 sprayed continuously and was surprised how quick and easily it cut the threads.

Here's the old bar I'm going to use SSF-6 Silver solder to braze the plate on the 1" round bar for the steering hydraulic cylinder it has a 70,000# strength rating.http://www.muggyweld.com/?view=pricelist" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Decide to get a dive mask to grind with.

The connector joints on the tiller arms set screws and grease Zerk's were toast corroded inside the connector arms so i took them to a machine shop to remove them and tap them out for S/S set screws and S/S Zerk's $ 90.00 and they are cleaning up the tiller arms.

Now that i finally have a mask as long as no jobs come in tomorrow i get to grind.
Sportsmen Conservation Sustainable Harvest Accountability Integrity with the spirit of a Warrior.
Buju

Post by Buju »

Keith, the dive mask will most likely end up fogging continuosly.
When I'm grinding, and can't avoid matter in the eyes, like in an enclosed hatch or locker- I put on a nice set of Bolle ski goggles I picked up for that. Scratch & impact resistant lenses, soft foam padding, and most importantly they're vented to prevent the fog, I like the lens tint to- good contrast- unless your working on a dark blue hull.
I'd ditch the silicone and tempered glass brudda. My .02
here's what I have- great deal too
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___88758" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
There's others of course- better scratch and impact resistance, different tints, etc. My thought was, I'm buying these to grind, would like to keep the price down. Could also check out the paintball gog's for clear lenses.
I don't know what the world may want,
But a good stiff drink it surely dont,
Think I'll go and fix myself...a tall one.
Keith Poe

Post by Keith Poe »

Buju wrote:Keith, the dive mask will most likely end up fogging continuosly.
When I'm grinding, and can't avoid matter in the eyes, like in an enclosed hatch or locker- I put on a nice set of Bolle ski goggles I picked up for that. Scratch & impact resistant lenses, soft foam padding, and most importantly they're vented to prevent the fog, I like the lens tint to- good contrast- unless your working on a dark blue hull.
I'd ditch the silicone and tempered glass brudda. My .02
here's what I have- great deal too
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___88758" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
There's others of course- better scratch and impact resistance, different tints, etc. My thought was, I'm buying these to grind, would like to keep the price down. Could also check out the paintball gog's for clear lenses.

Thank you for the help Buju i need it been trying to sort this out and make life a little easier that past experiences grinding.

I have a fried who works at 3-M and can most likely get a 3-M 7800S free but can't seem to be able to get a hold of him at the moment.
I did some work for him years ago and it's my turn to get a back scratch.

I have some defogger i picked up with the dive mask and the mask does not fit over the respirator perfectly so i was going to use Vaseline or something to seal the small holes but some some foam will work like you suggested to filter and ventilate.

I'm going to put the mask on before i grind and do some other work and see how it performs then I'll go to sport mart if i need to and get the sky mask and keep trying to get a hold of my friend from 3-M.

I was also thinking about getting a fish pump or something with a control valve with a long hose and filters to run in to the dive mask ?
Buju

Post by Buju »

I actually have a 3M full face respirator as well... I reserve that for when I'm spraying over head only. But It'd work for sure.

For grinding I wear a good dust mask particulate respirator- like the 3M 8511(with the valve) or similar... no need to go all "organic vapor" for particulate. Ends up going through a lot of prefilters and cartridges prematurely.
I don't know what the world may want,
But a good stiff drink it surely dont,
Think I'll go and fix myself...a tall one.
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315