Rocket Launcher Accessory

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

PeterPalmieri

Rocket Launcher Accessory

Post by PeterPalmieri »

So I ordered the rocket launcher for the back of my fighting chair, it should be here in a few weeks.

I want to mount two of these on the fighting chair so I can carry fly rods, the bridge is an option too.

My first thought is to mount this to a piece of starboard as a backing and then add one of those sleeves that insert into a rod holder like you'd use on a bait tray. Then I can fit 4 fly rods in the space of one standard rod holder (kind of like the kite 3 in 1s). And I can move it from the bridge to chair or take it off the boat at will.

The second option is to again add a backer to this and then attach it to the back of the rocket launcher using an L bracket, preferrably a removable one. This would work best but may not look the best.

The last option is to use a removable trolling butt and attach a reel foot to the back of the fly rod holder.

I'm at a loss for a great way to do this, any ideas before I start experimenting?
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
PeterPalmieri

Re: Rocket Launcher Accessory

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Another option is to have something like this welded up with the mounting plate in a vertical position

PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Or have something like this made up for the bridge

Buju

Post by Buju »

I wouldn't store/transport the flyrods vertically in the cockpit whatsoever. Just asking for damage.

I'd try to do something under the gunnels...
Such as getting a few pairs of the commonly available anodized aluminum rod hangers,
and mount them on a 1" teak pad (what is this starboard you keep mentioning in conjuction with Bertram31- the two just don't go together) under the gunnels. I'd position them so the reel is near the transom with the rod pointing forward. If needed, you could easily cut small holes and glass in 1" pvc rod tubes in the space between the hull and the engine box.
Could further protect the blanks by adding some strips of SeaDek on the interior hullsides if wanted.

It would be a similar setup as under gunnel storage in a flats skiff, and the rods would be much safer IMO.
I don't know what the world may want,
But a good stiff drink it surely dont,
Think I'll go and fix myself...a tall one.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Someday when I remove my cockpit panels I am planning on doing that. Right now it isn't possible as the length from the transom to the engine boxes is only 8' and I don't want to cut holes in the engine boxes. If I removed the panels and added air intakes ala Chimera or Phoenix I'd integrate rod tubes. What you explain is exactly as my flats boat is set up.

I've done many an offshore trip with rods stored vertically on center consoles and while I'd prefer them stored horizontally I've never had any damage. Many times we carry 8-10 fly rods.

The starboard I was talking about would simply be attached to the back of the two horizontal brackets holding those 4 rod holders together. I already have two of these in my garage just haven't come up with a good mounting plan.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Buju,

Another thought, even if it's rough and we don't rig up for the ride out we want a number of rods ready to go when we are at our destination. So even with a nice under gunnel solution I'd still like this for being rigged and ready. I'd prefer around the chair so we don't have to climb up on the bridge constantly.

Pete
Buju

Post by Buju »

I dunno Pete, I just cringe at the thought.
Must have something to do with my Sage RPLXi 13wt getting whacked in half on a sailfish outing about 5 years back.

My question to you is this:
What the hell are you gonna do with 10 flyrods in a 31' flybridge boat offshore? Really can only fish one at a time, 2 if you've got two competent anglers with one being a lefty, and the other a righty. Are you just trying different combos, line weights, shooting heads, tapers on the leaders, etc, etc...

When I flyfish offshore, I bring 1 rod only. Too much going on in the cockpit of a sportfish to have a gaggle of 9', $700 graphite sticks waving in the air. The best solution I've found for keeping a long stick at the ready is (not glamorous) to strip the line needed for a decent cast into a five gallon bucket. Throw one cast out, and retrieve the line back into the bucket (or ProTrim stripping tube for more of a glamor factor) hook the fly on the first and largest eye, and place the rod into said bucket.
When you get a hot fish in the spread, pick up the rod, unhook the fly, 2 false casts, and lay her down. BOOM!

I think any of your proposed ideas will work in theory... some will look goofier than others. I'd make an attempt to angle the plastic tubes so the rods angle toward each other, and lessen the danger of getting whacked a miniscule amount.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

I do have two line tamers for rods rigged and ready with the line stripped out. We usually bring four when going out offshore.

I do have a general crew of two other guys that I do this with and yes one of them is a lefty but generally flyfisherman like to use their own gear, so they have their preferred set up and our own flies. We don't use each others rods. I like to have a 12 or 14 wt rigged up for sharks, a 12wt rigged for tuna and either a 8 or 10 for Mahis. That's 3-4 rods times 3 anglers. Sometimes you hit a lobster pot on the way out for mahis or run into small tuna. Set up a shark drift and anything may come into the slick. We haven't had any tuna this year but had plenty of sharks (mako and blue) and mahi. We also had a triple header on blue sharks this year.

I will admit my ideas are goofy, if I had a really good idea I wouldn't have asked. Having 4 or 8 rigged fly rods ready I'm happy. Most of this I've been doing on my friends Regulator and we haven't had a problem as he's got a good assortment of vertical and horizontal holders for fly rods.
Buju

Post by Buju »

Go for it, wasnt really trying to discredit anything-I just hate the sound they make when they break... Perhaps eventually the answer will be to have a nice combination of under gunnel annnnd a nice rocket launcher addition.

How's about this:
Why not get two of the nice trident holders, remove the liner & and cut the aluminum with a slot to accomodate the foot of the flyreel, file and polish. Then cut the inserts slightly smaller to provide a little abrasion protection. Could have 6 flyrods rigged and ready taking up two holders on your launcher..?..?

I've never had/taken the opportunity to go offshore exclusively with fly gear... Hadn't even really occured to me (duh)
Sounds like a exciting way to catch (less) fish.
The risk of breaking them certainly goes down when people are only flyfishing... I gotta try it now...
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Now that is a really good idea. Birdsall makes a trident and a fly rod holder I may give them a call tomorrow. And see if they're willing to do a one off. Otherwise that's a nice winter project.

Its taken a long time to find a small circle of guys willing to leave the inlet with nothing more then fly rods, some bait and a roll of cash for gas. We do bring a spinning rod if we want to throw a teaser bait. And if the tuna are in close maybe a few trolling rods with a hookless spreader bar.

No discrediting I'm filled with dumb ideas and can't keep them in.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

The two items you have pictured are available commercially. The first is available as a bait tray holder and most are adjustable from horizontal all the way to vertical. The second is sold as an electric motor holder. I have one on my Carolina skiff (by Birdsall I think). My boat is a Sportsfisherman, so when the curtain is rolled up, I can lay the rods on the engine box and across the dinette seat backs. As difficult as it may seem, I'd prefer to get the rods as far forward and high as possible to avoid any chance of a tip being broken by a bad cast with a heavy fly, gust of wind etc striking a stored rod.
Buju

Post by Buju »

Another thought Peter...
You could get a magma fillet table for each one of your plastic holders.
Remove the top, and simply bolt it to your holders giving you a highly adjustable drop in holder...
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

That was my first thought in the original post. I've got some good ideas to think about now.
Buju

Post by Buju »

PeterPalmieri wrote:That was my first thought in the original post.
Oops. Yeah, just reread that.
I officially revert to the modified trident idea :)
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Buju, I have a bait tray and the fly rod holders. I think the base needs to be mounted not in the center but on the bottom and offset to work for me, that is where a piece of scrap starboard will come in handy. Once I play with this and come up with a layout I want then consider modifying one of the birdsall items, not only the trident but maybe the triple offset or collector. That is really a good idea..

On another note I've also got a good collection of Scott, T&T and Sage rods, the guys I fish with picked up the TFO bluewater rods the 13-15 and 14-17. The rods fish really nice and they're only $250 and still carry the lifetime no questions replacement at a third the cost. MY T&T exploded on a 175lb blue shark this year, my Scott broke at the furrell on BFT a few years back and my 8wt Sage broke in transit a few years ago. In each case $35 they replace the broken section and send you the rod back. For that reason I don't worry to much about babying the rods.

Walter about 3 days a week I wish I had a sportfish model, I love the way you've organized the boat, useful stuff everywhere. It's neat and organized and I'd venture to say you carry more stuff then anyone else I've seen. That comes with running that boat for a gazillion years! We've taken those mako tips you passed along last year and really put them into practice. Running out of Shinnecock we had success as close as 7 miles off the beach.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

People run out unnecessarily far in search of sharks, especially for fly fishing. I had friends who slow trolled sewn Mackerel on regular tackle out of Shinnecock and had action not far off the beach. Explosive strikes, yet NO ONE out of Montauk does anything else but run 20 miles off and chum. I know there are plenty of sharks inshore of that because I have caught and tagged them both on the fly as well as with conventional tackle. I used to laugh when Frank Mundus used to tell people he ran 30+ miles offshore for sharks. Since his boat could only do 12 kts at best, mathematically his customers had a 6 hour boatride and 3 hours of chumming. No way. He had his favorite spots well beyond the sight of land, but they were nowhere near that far away.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

The launcher arrived earlier in the week and I had the fly rod holders made up already, was just able to run down to the boat before sunrise and before work this morning to make sure everything fit.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Peter

Nice work that will work out quite well for you.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315