Forked River NJ B31

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

bertramwidow

Forked River NJ B31

Post by bertramwidow »

Tony....

Old post...friend tipped me off that the purple bitch was inquired upon.....my gal indeed...assume its the same ride you querried about. Been there since 2005.
Tony Meola

Re: Forked River NJ B31

Post by Tony Meola »

Funny, I have been going up and down that River since 1970. We winter the boat at Ricks and had it slipped there for about 11 years before we started our repower in 2008. It only caught my eye last year. This year I have been pretty busy and not used the boat much, but when I saw it again I thought I would ask.

I thought I knew all the 31's on the River over the years.

I am sure I will see you out on the water at some point.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
bertramwidow

Post by bertramwidow »

Guess she's just not a pretty enough attraction.........lol...a typical high maintenance squeeze.................on the wallet that is...
bertramwidow

Post by bertramwidow »

Tony..she is ugly but efficient. She sports a dyno'd 939 HP Twin GAS mill....and 0.98 n-m PG @ 2630 rpm fully canyon loaded ride that even the Professor might appreciate... clarify that..."possibly". LOL......learned from Panetta ....... saved the typical 55K $ investment to go to diesel....god I love that. If anyone of the lowly gas BBC B31's owners want the recipe info, let me know. Alot of Mechanical Engineering/fluid Dynamics into my ride.
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Pat Panetta told me that he has invested about 120K in order to save that 55K diesel investment.

He took me for a ride on that boat and it was damn fast. I still have his Bidgeport mill and Closing lathe in my garage, but no 3 phase to run them on. They should probably find a new home at this point.......
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

I remember reading some where about a 31 on long island that burned less than diesel with Gassers. Engines were supper worked but still don't know how you could do it. I always wondered about that boat. I never belieived it. So now she is in Forked River. How many gallons due you use when you go to the Hudson. Iknow when we had the old 454's, we use to carry and additional 30 gallons of fuel if we went to the hudson. Wilmongton we needed 50 more.

We used to c;ear the inlet at 5 in the morning, have lines in around 9, troll until around 7 at night, lay up, then troll the next morning. Start working our way inshore so by around 12 we would be around 50 miles off the beach, pick up and run home.

Most we ever used was 210 gallons. We had a big Tuna that we fought for 4 hours that took us into real deep water. We wound up on the east wall that day.

I put 270 Cummins in her. Like a different boat.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

mike ohlstein wrote:Pat Panetta told me that he has invested about 120K in order to save that 55K diesel investment.

He took me for a ride on that boat and it was damn fast. I still have his Bidgeport mill and Closing lathe in my garage, but no 3 phase to run them on. They should probably find a new home at this point.......
Mike

I invested a hell of a lot less than 120 to drop in the Cummins. That is today's dollars. Back when I remember reading that article, it would have taken a lot less than that to dump in diesels.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

From the Shinnecock Inlet to the edge is 62 miles. Troll for 6 hours, run the generator all night, troll for six more hours, run home. 105 gallons of diesel. The only time I ever took extra was when I went to Atlantis, but I didn't need it.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315