Hull Fractures under tank

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Bulletproof

Hull Fractures under tank

Post by Bulletproof »

Well gang I've discovered a new reason for taking the tank out. After pulling up the plywood under the tank I discovered three 8" long fractures along the Keel about 30" apart. At some point this boat must have hit something pretty serious, maybe bumped along something going over it. Of course since I haven't touched the 30 years of bottom paint I didn't even know these existed. Naturally when I went under to look there they were! The surveyer didn't even see them!!!!

Now with the tank out I can effectively make repairs from both sides and take care of them the right way. Just one more thing to do that's all! Like all of you who have done one of these total rebuilds, we wind up knowing every square inch of the boat one way or the other!
Paul Haggett
B31 Bulletproof
Marblehead, MA
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Paul,
I'm in Salem for the summer and fall, when is the best time to meet up with you at the boat. I haven't seen any plywood under the fiberglass tanks on the boats I've surveyed, just on the end bulkheads. 30 years of bottom paint hides alot of sins, the sounding hammer should have picked up on the cracks. Usually find wet foam under the tank, there are 2 1/2 round channels running fore and aft for drian races. Give me a call on my cell 561-310-7179 (Cingular) I'd like to see what you've done,
Pete Fallon
Bulletproof

Next time on the boat

Post by Bulletproof »

Hey Pete it's great to hear from you. I'm vary anxious for you to see my progress but we may have to wait a couple weeks. This coming weekend I think I'm going up to Maine and the following weekend is the Oak Bluff rendevous! If the weather is lousy in Maine we won't go so I'll be at the boat. As soon as we make our decision I'll call you.

The plywood was about 15" wide and the length of the tank. The reason the tank wouldn't just lift out is because there were two half inch think runs of epoxy running the length of the tank about 12 inched apart. Believe it or not the plywood could have lasted another 10 years as they totally coated it with creosote (great stuff!!!!!) The only poor assembly item was where the fore end of the plywood was glassed to the aft bulkhead. There was no place for the water to drain forward. This is where the worst condition of the plywood was. My guess is however that this plywood was submerged in bilge water most of the time!

I look forward to seeing you again. Hope you like what you see.

-Paul 781-696-5439
Paul Haggett
B31 Bulletproof
Marblehead, MA