Cummins in a 25?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Ironman

Cummins in a 25?

Post by Ironman »

Guys .. I just bought a 25 hardtop.maybe to replace my sons diesel skipjack... . its got the 318 vee drives.. both engines are toast. Ive seen some cummins singles projects but Im not sure what vee drives they used? ya think the paragon will be tough enough? Id rather not tunnel the hull .no need for shallow water running.
Ill post a pic later .
Wayne
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Wayne-
Seeing your post about converting to a single I thought of "Hunter".

And Dyer Jones' comment that the boat handled so poorly at low speeds that Bill Dyer experimented with dagger boards to try and get it reasonable....
Possunt quia posse videntur
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

Post up on the 25 site, a few guys have done this some v-drive, some stern drive and one mid mount motor with a jack-shaft to a leg. You will get some good knowledgable experience based information.

http://simplifying.net/phpbb/index.php
Ironman

Post by Ironman »

Been awhile since Ive been on the 25 site.. I cant remember my user name & the moderater cant find it.. I posted some pics on the old site.. (was there two sites?) I cant even find the photos page ,at least then I could find my postings & remember my username .This gettin old thing is tricky.
W
scot

Post by scot »

Ironman,

The 25 is an interesting vessel to repower. Most go the OB route, not many like the I/O route if the boat stays in the water. Jim Grahm did a fantastic job fitting a single 315hp 6BTA in the hull with a single V-drive. The only downside to a single + V-drive is the draft. If you run and stay in deep water, this is the way to go IMHO. Tony Athens assisted in that design/lay out and it works great according to Jim.

My project 25 is getting a pocket, but its not for shallow water, its for shaft alignment with the engine just aft of mid-ship. The only way to place the nose of an engine at the 10ft mark (B25 COB according to Hunt) is either a minimal pocket, or a V-drive.

Either way you go, its a bunch of work and as mentioned, most just bolt an OB on the hull. As Stephan noted from the article, a single deep V inboard is a fat, unresponsive pig at slow speeds. Jim recently added a bow thruster to fix that problem.

Good luck, nice hull but a real perplexing issue for alternative repowers.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
Ironman

Post by Ironman »

Thanks for the info.. takin a long look at it.. My sons got tons of energy lol
W