Turbo Charger

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Harry Babb

Turbo Charger

Post by Harry Babb »

Have any of you guys ever rebuilt a Turbo Charger??? In all of the years of mechanics I have always simply replaced them with Rebuilt or new but I think I will try my hand at rebuilding one...........

What cha think

Harry Babb
hb
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Turbo's are no more difficult than any other piece of machinery if you know how and have the specs to do so.

If the cartridge fails(the part that has the shaft and turbine blades) due to a failed bearing it can tear up the housing to where it needs either maching with sleeves or just replaced.

BTW almost all turbos have play in the shaft when not running. Oil pressure fills the gap and tightens the clearance. Some people make the mistake they need rebuilding when they do not.

Be very careful of the blades and not to bend or twist.
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Thanks for the reply Bruce,
I am rebuilding a pair of Cummins 6B's. I am sure that the reason that #6 cylinder failed is because of a severly deteriorated exhaust elbow. The engine was actually running and I don't know that the Turbo is bad but if my theory is correct, saltwater had to passed thru the Turbo.......I am more concerned about seals. The fans are not rubbing and from outward signs it looks Okay.

The turbo doesn't look that complicated to me........just thought if there was some sort of tweekey thing about them you guys would know.

Harry Babb
hb