Bertram 28 FBC fuel tank removal pics

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

bertram 20

Bertram 28 FBC fuel tank removal pics

Post by bertram 20 »

http://www.flickr.com/photos/43642738@N02/7295206688/ what do you think was going on with tank?Boat is from south carolina with no ethanol.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Are your vents from each tank? Looks like it could have popped from heat expansion.
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Like Walter said blocked vents a possiblity,or tank expanded and popped the joint when someone over pressurized the tank. They might have been trying to see if the tank had any leaks and over pressurized it. Anyway the tank is history now, before you install new vent lines make sure that the vent flame screens fittings are not plugged up with mud daubber wasp crap, I've seen it happen on 2 boats here in florida, boats wouldn't run, couldn't get any air thru the vent lines because the were blocked, wasp stuff is as hard as concrete.
Pete
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
conchy joe

Post by conchy joe »

Ok guys, I just drained my tank completely on my 76 28 Bertram. It looks like the tank is gel coated white inside. It appears that there is a black coating on top of the white. It appears about 90% of the black coating is in place. The other 10% appears to have flaked off and is in pile at the back and bottom of the tank.

Anyone seen this before and know what it is?
Troy & Daria

28 Bertram FBC, 3.9 Cummin BT's

Conchy Joe "ITS THE BOAT'S NAME, NOT MINE" -
Hypoluxo Point, FL
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Sounds like varnish from the gas. Gas will tend to varnish up after a while. You see it sometimes on the inside of a Carb when you take it apart.

When I repowered, we never gave that a second thought. Not sure if you can get it out unless you have a shop vac with a long hose. I jsut would not want to shop vac a gas fuel tank unless I filled it with water first then drained it out. Problem is you know have water you can't get rid off.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315