ENGINE STRINGERS

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Craig Mac

ENGINE STRINGERS

Post by Craig Mac »

I have a gas boat with original engine beds which have plywood added to both sides of the stringer---factory original.

At the rear of the stringer there are angle brackets that are bolted to the rear bulkhead. Can not tell if the bracket is bolted or lagged to the stringer, these brackets need to be replaced.

Would like to replace with stainless, understand not as strong as steel,but not sure of the load on these brackets. Also if they are bolted to stringer I dont have access to the nuts. If they are only lagged shouldnt be problem but judging by their appearance will probally snap the head
conchy joe

Post by conchy joe »

Just dealing with similar issues. My bracket bolts are glasses in place from the tank side.
Troy & Daria

28 Bertram FBC, 3.9 Cummin BT's

Conchy Joe "ITS THE BOAT'S NAME, NOT MINE" -
Hypoluxo Point, FL
Preston Burrows

Post by Preston Burrows »

Craig:

I don't think those brackets are structural at all......in other words no matter if you use stainless steel versus 'iron' or even 'glass instead.......the only purpose I can imagine for them would have been to act as supports for the rear bulkhead as being installed by Bertram originally, or maybe even 'plumb' points for the engine beds? Or ???

Aren't you takling your fuel tank out?
What's on the fuel tank side bracket fastener wise, glassed over bolts like 'Conchy Joe' Troy's????

Interested to know, when I re-did my engine beds I left those brackets well enough alone as I had no fuel tank issues or plans to remove it etc and did not wish to disturb the hidden side of the fasteners whatever they were/are.
Preston Burrows
1976 B28 FBC
BERF1398M76J-285
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

on my boat---there is no interference with the fuel tank for access.