Flying Fish Carburetors?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Alex

Flying Fish Carburetors?

Post by Alex »

I need a reman Quadrajet for one of my 454 Mercruisers. Flying Fish Carburetors seemed to have good prices. Has anybody tried them?

http://www.flyingfishcarburetors.com/
Capt Dick Dean

Post by Capt Dick Dean »

Never heard of them. But that dosen't mean anything. Why don't you take the carb off the engine and get it rebuilt??
A/K/A El Gaupo
Alex

Post by Alex »

Laziness and impatience. If the mechanic at the yard doesn't do it, I have to find somebody I don't know to do it. If the yard does it, I'm at the end of a very long line.

Versus,
1. Get a package in the mail
2. Remove the old carb and slap on the new one
3. Mail back the core

I wish I could rebuild it myself, but the last time I tried 23 years ago, I had to bring the SU carb pieces to the mechanic in a bag.
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Alex
I also run gassers fed by Quadrajunk carburetors. I personally think that the Rochester Quadrajets are really good nearly bullet proof carbs. Unless your carburetors are corroded to pieces the most economical way to deal with them is to purchase a kit for $30/$40 and let a qualified Carb mechanic rebuild them for you. A replacment carb will cost $400+.
This is my opinion but I realize its your money.

If you choose to replace your carbs why don't you put the old ones on our Swap & Sell board.

Harry Babb
hb
scot

Post by scot »

Edlebrock...been on my current boat for years. Zero problems. Order um on line, get um in the mail, bolt um on your motors, go and never fart around with your carbs again.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

These guys fixed my Carter AFB's (same as Edelbrocks) right up!! Bolted them on five years ago and they started right up! They test run them and guarantee them for 6 months. I highly recommend them.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Alex

Post by Alex »

Thanks guys.

Harry, at $400 a pop, I'd look at other alternatives. But at $218 plus a refundable core charge of $78, these guys seem pretty comparable to the rebuild route. I see you're from Fairhope, AL. I've got some pretty fond memories of a couple of stays in Pt. Clear (no fishing, though).

Rawleigh, it's good to know your experience was favorable. I should have known you'd know of these guys. It seems like you've had some dealings with every outfit, lotion, and potion remotely related to Bertrams.
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

I'm with you Alex...........$140.00 a pop is a good price.

I actually live in Point Clear.......I advertise that I live in Fairhope because people usually know more about Fairhope than other surounding areas. How long ago did you visit Point Clear???

I moved to Point Clear in 1972 and could never make enough money to leave so it looks like I am stuck here for the rest of my life.......believe me I am not complaining Ha Ha! !

Good luck

Harry Babb
hb
Hyena Love

Post by Hyena Love »

There is a place on Long Island - Allstate Carbs. or something like that - that specializes in Quads. They did a rebuild on one of mine, but I forget the price.

BTW, I have a Quad that was running great on a chevy 350 sittting in my garage, and at least one core around the house somewhere.

Also, remand Q'jets can be bought for small dollars at your local auto parts store. They are not the marine version, but some might suggest that is really meaningless. I am not saying one way or another, but I did run on a non-marine version for an extended time period at one time.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Woops! Sorry Alex, but I actually dealt with Carbs Unlimited. Sorry for the mix up.

http://www.carburetion.com/
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Alex

Post by Alex »

Harry,

It's $218 plus the $78 core charge, so $218 net. Still, not bad.

I think the first time I visited Point Clear was in the early 1990s and then again in the mid 90s. I had conferences at the Grand Hotel both times. We made friends with some of the staff and they showed us a very good time . . . from what I can remember. After the conferences, we headed to New Orleans for the weekend. My liver only recently returned to a manageable size.

How has the area faired since Katrina?

Alex