Info on Fuel Tank removal

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

bertram 20

Info on Fuel Tank removal

Post by bertram 20 »

Hey guys just wanted to get ideas on best way to get my fuel tank out of my 86 28 FBC.I pulled rear deck up yesterday HolyCrap that tank is MASSIVE,it looks like it is glassed in pretty good.Tank is empty,I have heard filling with water to get fumes out and then cut top off is this the best way. Thanks for any input. mike
captbone

Post by captbone »

Remove all the opening and fittings. Get all the fuel out that you can. Put kitty litter in it remove the last little trace of fuel and then let it air out of a couple days.

You nose is the best tester of fuel vapor.
Marlin

Fuel tank

Post by Marlin »

I was involved in the rehab of an old marina a couple of yearsvago,found several fuel tanks that had been buried for 50 years plus,full of fuel that still smelled potent, called in a remediatiator and they cut the tops off with air tools and hauled the gas off to Montana or somewhere, be careful, when I removed my 3fuel tanks in my Bertram I siphoned the fuel out, poured it into shallow pans and let it evaporate, disposed of the tar covered pans at the local dump,don't no about cat litter.after the tanks were emptied I ran over them with a bobcat and they were crushed and broken up,disposed of them at the local land fill as well,