Short Cuts?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Preston Burrows

Short Cuts?

Post by Preston Burrows »

Finally have my B28 up on the hard for bottom painting..........here she is just up being pressure washed by a yard worker:

The weather and my work schedule are not aligning, our rainy season here has just started..........

So I'm asking for your thoughts please gents on a few items which I need to fix 'faster' than I usually would !

1) For a screw hole through the hull below the waterline can I simply bevel the hole,sand and roughen the surrounding 'glass and fill/fair with Marine Tex for a fast fix that would be waterproof and semi permanent?[It's a # 8 screw that was drilled through the hull in error....not by me!]
Or?

2) In replacing a transom mount transducer can I use a 3/4" thick plywood backer fixed to the inside of the transom with 3M 5200 so as to mount a cable holder from the outside below the waterline? I would apply 3M 5200 to the screw attaching the cable tie to the transom from the outside, the backer mounted inside would serve as the screw's fastening support as the transom is only about 1/8" thick 'glass on a B28.
[Last time I ground off the screw on the inside and 'glassed over its entry point.]
Or?
[A shark tore off the transducer which we decided to bring it to the boat to see what kind/size.........didn't see what type....... but got an idea as to size when it slammed in to the transom and shook the whole boat like we had run aground!]

3) Any ideas as to what I can use to 'deep clean' the Awlgrip paint on the hull sides? There are a few areas at the waterline / boot stripe level that have stubborn black oil stains which I would like to remove.........Awlwash will not remove these, my next planned attempt to will be with Marykate's On/Off cleaner..............
Preston Burrows
1976 B28 FBC
BERF1398M76J-285
Harry Woods

Post by Harry Woods »

Preston,
Airmar makes an in-hull transducer with an adjustment for the hull dead rise. I mounts cleanly forward of the starboard engine and performs like a thru-hull. Thirty minute install and it is shark proof.
Harry
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Preston,

If you have the time I would recommend hitting your rudders with a grinder. I smoothed out (knifed edged) the leading and trailing edges on mine. When I did this I had a medium cup added to the props. I gainded one full knot at cruise RPM while retaining the same WOT RPM and speed.
I wish that I had experimented with rudder modification only to see the results with no other variables.
At 5 or 6 bucks a gallon speed is money!

Kevin
Preston Burrows

Post by Preston Burrows »

Harry: I only have a very basic GPS/Map, Humminbird NS25, which is all I really need........I did look in to whether I could get an in hull ''ducer for it.....to no avail....too many 'help' desks and too many unanswered e-mails etc.......
If I ever upgrade I sure will to one which accomodates an in hull 'ducer.....I had a through hull 'ducer but it twice 'hydro-peeled', used its hole for a washdown pumps pick-up instead....and went to a transom mount instead.....which I've thought about epoxying to the inside of the hull,as it does read well enough that way I noted after testing it set up temporarily so....

Kevin: That might kill 2 birds with one stone, I could run the fish over instead with the added speed?
I average 22 knots at ~3000 rpm with a clean bottom and 3/4 load of everything.............
Gas is at $5.72 per gal at the pump.......at least no ethanol here yet......

Cheers!
Preston Burrows
1976 B28 FBC
BERF1398M76J-285