31 window

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Frank Hermann

31 window

Post by Frank Hermann »

has anyone had the experience of repairing the aluminum on the windshield frame? when i purchased the boat, the prior owner had installed an alarm system with iron fastners,well you can guess the results.i'm sure that i will need to remove to repair,looking for some insight -thanks
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

Frank,
Do a search for windows/frames. They've been a ton of posts in the past.
I'm not sure but indecision may or may not be my problem.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
John F.

Post by John F. »

Frank-

Andre is right--there's alot of info. on the old bb. If its the side windows, you can have new frames made up and replace, or go frameless per Capt. Pat's kit, or try to fix by welding or patching with marinetex/epoxy and paint. The front windows/shield can be taken apart and welded up, or, as I've seen done, patch with marine-tex or epoxy and paint, or totally rehab and cover in fiberglass like Capt. Pat did on Gerry Santiago's B31, or remove completely and cover with a Holmsey insert liek Buddy Boy (and lots others). Good luck.

John F.
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Frank
The window frames are very weldable. Keep in mind that the frames are anodized and the weld filler metal that is added will not be anodized and subject to immediate corrosion when the salt water hits it.

My frames were in pretty rough shape. Several steel fasteners and a bunch of stainless steel fasteners had been screwed into the frames. Corrosion had built up in a lot of spaces. I removed them and sandblasted them clean then weld repaired all of the holes and corroded areas. I faired in some of the low areas with epoxy filler then painted the entire frame with epoxy primer and urethane flat black top coat.

It was a lot of work but relatively inexpensive and looks pretty good.

I did this same thing on the windshields of an old Chaparell (Sp?) 15 years ago and they are still going strong.

To me the most difficult part of the task was removing the cabin window frames.

Harry Babb
hb
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Guys,
I have a pair of side frame from a 70's model in pretty good shape if anyone needs them. Pay the freight and give Capt Pat a little something (or a big something) and they're yours.
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
John F.

Post by John F. »

Mikey-

I may be interested in the side frames. Mine are shot. I don't know if you saw the picture of my B31, but the previous owner covered the windshield and side windows with sunbrella, and screwed stainless snaps right into the frames--they've migrated into dime-sized holes in some places. I was planning on getting replacements made by American marine or whoever, but maybe I could use what you have....Please PM me your phone number and maybe you can tell me some more.

Thanks-

John F.
Frank Hermann

31 window

Post by Frank Hermann »

THANKS ALOT TO ALL WHO HAVE REPLIED. I WILL GO TO THE SIGHTS YOU GAVE AND SEE WHAT THERE IS. WILL ALSO TRY TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO TAKE THEM OUT AND HOW LONG IT MIGHT TAKE TO REPAIR SO AS TO NOT RUIN THE SEASON
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Hi Frank
I am more of an propeller shaft/coupling/strut/installation/engine guy rather than fiberglass and paint. Its not to often that something comes up on here that I feel qualified to talk about but these windows that you are dealing with...........I have been there and done that and have the tee shirt to prove it.

My advise is that if you are going to do this before this upcoming season better get started really quick......like tonight Ha Ha

My experience was that the front window frames were really difficult to remove......the side frames were a little easier but still a pretty difficult. The side frames have several screws that are installed from the bottom side and they are not only hard to access they are flat head straight slotted screws that generally break off instead of unscrewing. The frames are made of a really soft aluminum and bend very easily but have to be pryed on and beat on to remove them. When I took mine out I removed the front windows first, which is another whole story, and I think that it made it easier to remove the side frames.

A good small welding shop that has TIG welding capabilities can repair the frames without a lot of difficulty. If you are interested in doing this send me a Private Message or call me at 251-928-5291 and I will tell you in greater detail what I did to my windows.

Harry Babb
hb
Frank Hermann

31 window

Post by Frank Hermann »

Harry, thanks for the insight of the window removal.I am actually thinking of next year as I have already shrunk wrapped the boat .It appears that this task should be done as soon as boat comes out to leave enough time to reinstall in spring. I will keep your offer to speak with you for more detail. Again, thanks
JP Miller

window

Post by JP Miller »

I am at the final stages of a full window restoration on an original '62 Sedan. Complete disassembly, sand, etch, prime, paint. (I had the whole top off for the hull /topside paint job.) I can send pics of most of the project. I followed the faithful's recomendations through the whole thing and it would have been perfect if my painter didn't get lazy on the last day.
VERY SOFT aluminum. It looked like a pretzel by the time the front was off the sides, but went back just as eaily.
A good welder will get rid of ANY holes... mine had wiper motors but no more.

By the way, I inherited a front/side frame off a '76 B31. Decided to stay with my '62 since I knew it would line up to existing screw holes.... anyone need a windshield? A buddy near me glassed his front in.

If I can help, send a PM or call 727-422-4301.
Whaler1777

Post by Whaler1777 »

Last edited by Whaler1777 on Jan 20th, '07, 11:09, edited 1 time in total.
'79 Bertram 31' Sedan
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

john, the front cruved are normally junk(crazed) your gonna have the pony up the ching, and get new. Unless your doing a resortation,(as opposed to a upgrade, which in all reality would mean dumping the rldt and getting a hatt) I would suggest teh dark tint. truth is you should think about glassing in the front and curves and possibly changing your sides to fixed. get in touch with crowther . he's pulling his frames for a refinish that while isn;t forever is way better than paint. he's also got a source for the side windows that sems to be more than resonable
Doug Crowther

Post by Doug Crowther »

I am removing my side windows which are about 10yrs old (American Marine in Lauderdale see links) and have the frames powdercoated because the anodized finish is pretty much burned off. I am then going to have Timmy put a 1 piece window in place of the current sliders. The glass will be set in rubber like an office building non-opening window and should never leak again. The boat has 16k btu reverse cycle a/c heat so the windows don't need to open.
John Jackson

Post by John Jackson »

Be careful with using someone elses frames, they are all different sizes. I took the rims off of my curved windows and took them to a welder to fill all the holes and refinish. It came out pretty good. I got new curved windows from American in Pompano.