Sad commentary on today's education system

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

IRGuy

Sad commentary on today's education system

Post by IRGuy »

This isn't earth shaking, but I find this almost impossible to believe what this article brings up..

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/trending-no ... 23705.html

Can people really be this ignorant of recent history?
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Those same people probably think that Kim K and Snooki are cool. Everybody should know that the Titanic struck rocks that were not on the chart:)
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

You can't fix stupid. If you could have them fixed, the Gene Pool might have a chance, but since it's against the law and politically incorrect to even jokingly suggest it, be prepared for more and worse in the future.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Walter K wrote:be prepared for more and worse in the future.
In the immortal words of Long John Silver: "Them that dies will be the lucky ones" Arrgggg...
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Re: Sad commentary on today's education system

Post by mike ohlstein »

IRGuy wrote:Can people really be this ignorant of recent history?
Some of them make it to the top. Look at the President of Iran.

Or the US.......
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

I'll second...."you can't fix stupid".
My son will be graduating in early May from SUNY Cortland and will be seeking a career as a teacher.
I look back at some teachers that I had....most were good, but there are some that stand out.(maybe not at the time, but surely now)
I had an english teacher that teamed with the history(social studies) teacher and had us read a part of the NY times every day. Helped with our reading skills and taught us what the heck was going on. (no comments on the views of the NY Times vs other publications)
I had another teacher that was in charge of study hall. When you screwed up in study hall (and I had my moments :-D ) .... he would give you a book with poetry and make you memorize a stanza of a poem as homework (punishment). A little more effort than "go home and write "I will not throw spitballs in class" 1000 times. As a result, at 55 I still know many stanzas of literary classics.
But....some of it is our teachers and some is the parents.
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Read the book Fed Ed by Allen Quist.

Then watch man on the street on one of the late night shows.

People know the slut sisters but not their elected officials.
People know which d rated celebrity won dancing with the stars, but not the bill of rights.
People know George Clooney would get on is knees in front of Obamas crotch, but think the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor.

10th amendment says education is a state and local prerogative, not federal.

Name one thing that has turned out well that the fed has been involved with let alone something it was never was supposed to control?
Carl

Post by Carl »

I am going to go against the herd on this one and say the Kids are not stupid and therefore can be fixed.

Kids are going to learn what they have to and not much more unless motivated. That does not make a Kid stupid...it does show the parents and teachers lack in their roles.

TV and pop stars motivate kids. If they have the capacity to learn that crap, then they have the capacity to learn just about everything else.

My public schooling was horrible, I only started learning when I went into a private high school...there teachers and administrators had authority over the kids, Administrators had authority over teachers. If students or teachers work up to par they were gone. To me that is something that lacks in Public School. Bad kids get grouped with good kids and teachers spend their time trying to keep kids in line. Lousy teachers get walked on by the kids and Administrators cannot get rid of lousy teachers...just move'em around.