Bow light bulbs

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

In Memory Walter K

Bow light bulbs

Post by In Memory Walter K »

As part of my Spring prep I found my port bow light not working. In the process, thought it best to change both bulbs, clean/lube connections, etc. Nothing on the bulbs is readable other than to visually see they are two pole bayonnets. I have found 13.3 watt 1.04 amp and 18.4 watt 1.44 amp replacements. What I have not found is anyone who knows if there is a wattage the bow lights of a 31 ft boat must legally have. Anyone know? Walter
captbone

Post by captbone »

The law is visibility over distance. It is very difficult to measure and no one will know the difference. You cant go wrong with the brighter one but if my memory is still good boats over 20 meters need the brighter one. I previously looked into an LED replacement bulb but at $40 it was not worth it.
Preston Burrows

Post by Preston Burrows »

Walter:

I read somewhere recently 10 watts / 2 miles for our size boats bow lights......

I use the 13.3watt bulb you've listed.
Preston Burrows
1976 B28 FBC
BERF1398M76J-285
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Walter,
The federal requirements for our boats are: White all around light(anchor) must be visible for 2 miles, side lights(bow) 1 mile, stern light must be visible for 2 miles.
I replaced my sockets years ago they now take a 1157 bulb. I just went to the NAPA store and got replacement units both were around $10.00 ten years ago. 1157 is a standard 2 contact base with high and low studs on the side of the bases.
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61