A drivers, driver

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Bruce
Site Admin

A drivers, driver

Post by Bruce »

Not much into the 4 banger stuff, but this guy is one hell of a driver.

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=4T ... edium#t=35
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Bruce,
I agree with you on the drivers skill, it kind of looks like a typical day on I-95 anywhere south of PGA Blvd. I did some pit crew work, fire safety and truck driving back in the early 80's on the old IMSA series. I remember my driver's tire bill for the 24 hour of Daytona Race was $10,000. I knew it was a rich mans sport when one of the car owners handed me $10,000 and the keys to his BMW 7 series, he said that should be enough to buy supplies for the pit crew for the weekend. Never meet him before that day, I did that for a couple of seasons, lot's of time away from home and lots of miles living out of a suitcase. I like the guy on the Segway, typical rider, oblivious to everything around him. Happy Easter
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

like to see the cops keep up with him, i went to school with dean kamens brother, the inventor of the segway,
1968 hull # 316 - 757
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Practice, practice.. and more practice!
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
Morning Wood

Post by Morning Wood »

I found on my son's phone by accident a video of him drifting my wife's Volvo station wagon. Now I understand why tires were always wearing out on that car prematurely.
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Charlie J,
It's a small world back in the late 80's I installed a bunch of electronics in Jeff Kamens LARC. VietNam era half boat half truck, like the Duck Tour boats. He had a island in Long Island Sound some where?, I had a standing invite and a fist full of his island money, never got to use it. He had a complete machine shop in his livingroom complete with a CNC mill. Nice guy.
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

pete in his familys house the whole basement, was one big machine shop, and yes very nice family.
he also has many patents in the medical field
1968 hull # 316 - 757
randall

Post by randall »

great skill....but pretty tough on the tires. splain the large handle?
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

randall
i think its a hand brake
1968 hull # 316 - 757
randall

Post by randall »

me too but i was wondering if you could lock up just one side depending on how you pulled it. i used to do 360s all the time in my TVR but i was a lot less precise...A LOT.
offshore31

Post by offshore31 »

Pete Fallon wrote:Charlie J,
It's a small world back in the late 80's I installed a bunch of electronics in Jeff Kamens LARC. VietNam era half boat half truck, like the Duck Tour boats. He had a island in Long Island Sound some where?, I had a standing invite and a fist full of his island money, never got to use it. He had a complete machine shop in his livingroom complete with a CNC mill. Nice guy.
Pete,

his island is north dumpling (or is it south?) just to the west of fishers island in the sound. His home in Bedford NH is about 1/2 m from me as the crow flies. I can hear the vanes on his windmill at night. He drives us nuts when he gets a new helicopter, flying around buzzing our houses. Next time i see him i'll ask what the exchange rate is for his island money to US $ :)

Joe
Joe A.
lurker (ex-b31r)
gplume

Post by gplume »

Thats why I love my VW GTI.........(not that I be driving like that)
The high leverage e brake would be nice.
Good test of the rev limiter.....looks like it passed
Bruce keeper coming that was great
Giff
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Joe A,
When we were installing the instruments in the LARC he took off and landed a couple of times with the 4 seater helio. He's a real nice guy, wears a fatigue jacket, chambry shirt and blue jeans. He looks like street person, he had a bushy beard, never know he had a buck, except for the helio. He had just finished and marketed the insulin pump.
Joe are you from NH orginally or Mass, I feel like I know you from somewhere back in the old days.
offshore31

Post by offshore31 »

Pete

I'm from Ct originally, and moved to NH back in the 80's. However about 9 or 10 years ago I bought the 31 express, old horse eye. I was going to rebuild it, and I spoke to you, Capt Pat, and UV for advice. I think we spoke on the phone a couple of times, about your 31, fishing, and your knee. I was holding off getting my knee done back then, so I was interested in your experience. That's what your probably thinking about.

I owe a good friend a trip down to Jax. If I ever make it down there, I'll give you a shout. Would love to meet you after talking to you on/off for the past 10 years!

Joe
Joe A.
lurker (ex-b31r)
dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

Definitely a hand brake. Here's one of his first videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rs-jAImScms

Currently Ken Block is the only American representing the country in the World Rally Championship (WRC).

This is my kind of racing:

http://wrc.com/index.jsp

300hp AWD cars. Driver, co-driver, pace notes. All on open roads. Day, night, rain, snow, etc.. Limited amount of garage time during the day's stages and only a couple of hours at the end of the day before the cars are locked away for the night.
Regards,

Doug L.