The other non-boat winter project

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

John F.

The other non-boat winter project

Post by John F. »

Sometimes it gets a little to cold or dreary to work on the boat. So, I played with my bike instead. Went for a ride yesterday. Felt good.

Before:

After:
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Did you buy that new in 1984?
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
John F.

Post by John F. »

I think its a 1978. No, I bought it last summer. I wanted to ride again and have a kid in college and another that will be next year, so that's the best I could do.
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

A very early disk brake. I believe that Honda started using them in 1969 on the new 750.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
John F.

Post by John F. »

It rides and sounds like an overgrown '70s dirtbike--which I guess it kinda' is.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Good idea John you just have to walk away from the tedious labor on the boat and then come back fresh.my wife's has RA. and became worst this winter so I stayed home sometimes and worked on the vette. If not go stir crazy!!!!!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

puttering away on things is sure good for the soul...BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

john winter project complete . mike o gave me a perfect set of ny 1971 plates and in the process of making legal.this is my 1971 LT-1 corvette, a new toy a little disappointed at 120mph the rear started to sway. not sure i have to look into it sway bar suck there are non- adjustable have to bent to make right! accretion is unreal and satisfied THE NEED FOR SPEED.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Sweet ride Bob....love the laughing gas...BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Bob on those nights Obama makes a speech I open the bottle and take a whiff it helps me understand what he is doing this country.on a good note my friend mike went just outside the inlet fishing yesterday.two guys pick 1500 lbs of Mackeral sold at a dollar a pound.mainly chopped for chum big ones for frozen flats.alot of baitfish in the water this early in the year looks promising.we gotta get that magnificent boat of yours in the water!,,,,,come on finish it in the water.incidently I am totally confused on the finishing of cockpit sole .i bought the angelvail captain Patrick recommended but the glass guy here says I should apply durateck over ail the gel-cote . I wanted to ask you if you feel the stick and peel finish is as sure footed as course non- skid.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Should have said apply durateck over vail lay up before gel-cote.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

bob lico wrote:Should have said apply durateck over vail lay up before gel-cote.
Absolutely not necessary...

If your final layer of glass, regardless what glass it is, is less than 48 hours old, no tie coat is necessary. Duratec would be used only over old glass or gelcoat as the tie coat.

That's if you used either polyester resin or vinylester resin. If you used epoxy, then yes, Duratec is required for a bond between the epoxy and the polyester gelcoat. Over Epoxy Duratec is not a suggestion, but a prerequisite.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

For 100th time thanks capt. For a straight answer. I am using polyester resin to the tune of 15 gallons ! I cannot see epoxy for a large flat area like this aside from a huge cost factor.li have cross interlock bracing under the sole all tab in .
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Bob I receive quite a lecture from wife on the " juice". I put in kitchen freezer then fill from larger bottle in garage ( takes on a better charge) she went crazy. I put oil in engine ran 10 minutes ,empty new oil drove 6 miles to highway ,drop the hammer to 7200 rpm ------- nice break in ! The lawman gave me the nod and I was off .after I back off he wave me off " that's enought" I went over that hold suspension cannot figure what would make the rear sway side to side? -------- I think that's the end of high speed runs for me.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
John F.

Post by John F. »

Looks like alot of fun. Very nice Bob.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Bob

Really nice ride. I can remember driving a customer of my father's 68 vette. Sweet ride and back then you still had the old 427's in them.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

I looked at that 'vette and a chill ran down my spine ....VERY NICE !!
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Brothers thank you for the compliments. Actually I use the restoration as a health issue. After eating at night if I sit on couch and watch tv I have all kinds of digestion problems so I take one little project at a time like tele-tilt steering column and remove from car bench it and completely restore assemble. And go to next part. I have factory assembly manual just need patience .no cell phone just listening to 70 's music in my own little world.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Carl

Post by Carl »

Bob,
Car looks great...never knew what mine would do as I pegged the 80mph speedometer in 2nd.

I really wish I could take on tinkering projects again..like you said one thing at a time, it's one reason why I originally bought my Vette. I could pick a project and do it at my leisure, then look back afterwards and be proud.

These days I feel a need to finish and finish on time...not sure what the time is, or should be...but sitting back gazing over the project fells like goofing off...so tinkering is somewhat gone. Last year I was able to do some on the boat...but still found it difficult.

The vette in the garage...I think I decided to just donate to charity...I spent a couple days picking the motor, tranny, rear end etc after the flood...it all moved but I have zero desire to work on it...said it again and that the deal...it is just Work and I have enough of that the last few years.

Sorry for the ramble...but I just set myself straight on what I need to do...all that from looking at your cars picture. Thanks.

Sweet ride Bob! Swaying in the back...did you check that leaf Spring? I changed mine twice as they cracked, the last time we went up to something a bit more HD.. Also a huge improvement, aside from upgraded Shocks was going with a full Poly Graphite Suspension. Still handled like crap for a Sports car...but much better then an early Vette.

Winter projects...mine was a new kitchen, although not by choice.
JeremyD

Post by JeremyD »

my winter project was putting this

in this

BTW - very nice Lt1 - one of my favorites
1977 B31 (315 Cummins) Build thread --->https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-ho ... model.html
2010 Key West Bay Reef | 150 Yamaha
1986 Bertram 28 260 Mercruisers [SOLD]
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Used to be easy on my Super 90.
randall

Post by randall »

bob....thats exactly how i restored the austin-healey with one difference. i would remove a component...like the engine or the steering box ...and send it to someone who knew what they were doing. then reassemble. i can take credit for putting it all together but not for actually fixing anything.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

carl this is my seventh corvette my last one was a trailer queen. 1967 427" coupe ,very big dollar car and you have to leave stock so the "bicycle" tires were useless and you would have to cut fender wells to put real tires under it.this is a driver and all important bumper corvette . 1972 is the last year of bumpers and corvette went down hill until the 1991 ZR-1 .i rally believe it takes the mental pressure off unless i have to match paint job.that is the only thing i will sent out.you really need a spray booth for lacquer.carl talk to me about this vette i can get anything you need. Jeremyd not only is the car a "10" but i envy your garage.
randall the mechanical thing started at 8 years old ,at 12 i hung out at the famous gene adams speed shop, the bad news is i could never get a grade above 65 in english all the way thru college and still cannot write a letter. that was the trade off!!!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

carl here is the completed 1967 corvetteImage
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
mike ohlstein
Site Admin

Post by mike ohlstein »

I had a 1991 Vette.

Guess how I know it was electronically limited to 155 mph.......
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

John
Your bike brought back memories. In the late 60's we rode a Honda 50 all over town and was just glad "To Be There" but always dreamed of a larger bike.....then one day I found and bought a Honda CB 100! ! ! we were in "Tall Cotton" back then.

Bob
What are the particulars on the engine in your '71?

Is it an automatic or stick?

I have a 69 that needs full restoration. The engine is not original but the original engine was 350 CI X 350 HP.

hb
hb
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

harry 1969 is a " premium" year worth much more then 1968 (glass lay up problems) . 1969 first year of 350" block and with fantastic hydraulic cam at 350hp that became most popular option, also vette finally flare the wheel wells with 8" tires . a 350" vette has to have the options like a/c , ps, pb,am/fm radio. red is premium color as well as convertible , 4-speed a must will all big blocks but vette came out with turbo- hydramatic in 1969 so auto was desirable with a/c and options. 1970 corvette built the 350" into LT-1 .solid lifter fire breathing sm block stay up with big block on street rated at 370hp easily modified to 420hp.my 1971 has reduced compression (runs on pump gas) at 330hp without simple mods.i have a/c,ps,tilt-tele,am/fm.i am using it as a driver . the 1967 was on this calendar and won some trophies but was rated NCRS. silver because the paint was to shiny . clear-cote lacquer as last cote cause 5 point deduction and a point because third carburetor built date did not jive with sept 66 built date of car. never enjoy that car way to much hp. for ridiculous hard rubber tires.a oven inside car with no a/c. not a option on big block with solid lifters.i hope i explain myself best thing is built 1969 as driver correct engine suffix on front of your block would be HW .
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Well Bob my story goes like this.

When I was 38 years old and nearly 39.....I decided one day that I could not live another day without fulfulling a life dream......and that was owning a Corvette.

So with out the long drawn story I found one locally. That night I drove it home. Jo Ann was convinced that it belonged to one of my friends.....but when she figured out that her "Knight In Shining Armor" took out a Home equity loan and bought a 69 corvette she was nearly ready to cut my #&@^'s off.

From there she began to fall in love with it. She and I would get in it and drive to Biloxi Mississippi to get an ice cream from Ben and Jerrys. She liked that.

Then one day just after Christmas we loaded up and drove to Venice La. Althought there is not much in Venice the trip was fun.

Then one night, thinking that I was Don Gralits I took my sister in law for a ride.......I took first gear to 5500 RPM and slamed the ole girl into second gear......spun the tires and once again took her to 5500 RPM.......Then it was on to third gear........except there was a very very small mistake......I jamed her back into FIRST GEAR! ! ! Holy Shit! ! ! the tack must have hit 8 grand.....the tires skid on the pavment and then the clutch came apart.

SOOOOOOO! ! ! it was back to the garage. I replaced the clutch and then started rebuilding the rear suspension. Went drag racing a couple of times then figured out that I must have lost my mind.

The last time I drove or even cranked the car was 1998. I totally lost interest in her. She still sits in my old garage covered with dust and probably gutted by rats by now,

I really had fun with her for a while. I also noticed a certain unstability at speeds over a hundred.....but I attributed it to a loose nut behind the steering wheel......then decided that I just didn't not need to go that fast. My thrill was 0 to 80 MPH.

May be after DeNada is floating I will drag her back out and getter going again. I have a vortex 350 that I have been saving.....may be I will put it into the ole girl and see if it will blow her skirt up.

hb
hb