Cleats and Anchor

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

JP Dalik wrote: Ummmmmmmm?????????? Where to begin?

Peter does the boat have a chair or center rigger? I remember seeing the old rockaway style barber chair for sale some time back. Did you replace it?

3 rod holders per side essential? why? I didn't get that memo and I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night. If they were essential then anyone with only 2 in the gunnels must not catch anything, I've wondered why we've been so handicaped fishing the last few years?!?!?

Your gonna have a nice clean uncluttered gunnel just rod holders and only 7 total,,,,, nice..

The stowable ladder sounds like the ticket, no new hardware anywhere clean and simple...perfect

Good luck with the project, in the end its your baby and you've gotta be happy with her. For what its worth sounds like your going to have an even prettier old girl when your done.
JP,

I've got this picture of your boat saved on my computer, I'm very curious, where you place your rods for trolling. The two riggers on the sides? flat lines in the transom, everything else from the chair? I realize it's not just one way but generally.

Thanks so much.

Pete
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Peter:

I regularly trolled 8 rods on Tailhook -- but only lures, and only straight runnners -- mostly Ahi-Ps.

I had 3 rod holders in each gunnel and 4 in my fighting chair. My riggers were all double rigged and I had a center rigger. I had 3 flatline clips on the transom.

One chair rod was way back on the center rigger, one was on the center flat line clip, the stern most gunnel rod holder went to corner flat lines on each side the middle rod holders went to the short riggers and the foward rod holders went to the long riggers on each side.

One time, not at band camp, we did pull 10 rods and used 2 more rods in the chair as "long flat lines" these were straight butt trolling rods.

8 rods with my regulare crew was easy. On more than one occasion we did fish 9 rods and staggered the flat lines.

Tom
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Peter;
I use the rocket launcher to fish the long riggers, generally dink baits on 16vsx's. The short riggers are from the forward most holders, these are both clutch holders and one side gets a wide range on a bent butt the other a bait or daisy chain depending on what we are fishing for. The next back in the gunnel will be 2 spreader bars on straight 50's the gunnel holder will Ohave 2 dink baits or small chains. That gives us 6 so far, center rigger is my bridge rod normally a big blue and white on a bent butt 80w. We are now at seven. The chair rod holder hod one or two rods depending on sea conditions that takes us to 9 hooks. There are also 2 teasers fished from the bridge for a total of 11 lines in the water when tuna fishing. Whitey fishing it's down to 6 hooks. Both of my transom holders are 15degree clutch holders (bob take note here comes your answer)

Bob- don't limit yourself to the gunnels. You have a fighting chair that turns don't you? Probably fishing balloons at different depths and distances? Maybe the rocket launcher holds more than 1 rod? Maybe have a clutch rod holder in the transom you can turn? That 51 probably drifts with the nose slightly into the sea so you'd be better off putting a clip halfway up the boat to spread your sh@t out.

If they can fish 6 lines off of 2 kites out of the chair for sails I'm sure 3 for sharks isn't that big a deal. C'mon man it's just a shark..

I blame all spelling errors on this f'ing IPhone. ....
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
CHolgerson

Post by CHolgerson »

You guys need to fish with Brewster when he is running the green stick and a full spread of rods and reels. The spread looks absolutely ridiculous. The green stick has 9 baits and the giant bird with an anchor ball, and we still fish 9 additional rods. 19 hooks in the water. Thats right there is a monster hook in the big bird just in case : ) On Pop's Bahia Mar we usually pull 7 - 9 depending on who is on the boat.

Chris
Marlin

Cleats

Post by Marlin »

Peter, I have a 2or 3step ladder that was detachable from my swim platform on my ex buddy Davis, for a donation to the Capt it's yours, get me an address
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

JP you've got my mind racing here, are you short changing yourself. I'm counting 11 hooks, 13 lines. 6 gunwales, 4 chair and launcher, 1 bridge, 2 teasers?
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Peter,

Yup your right, I can't see and read these little phones much less think straight trying to type and run wires in the old girl at the same time.

Our best case is 11 rods with 2 teasers, standard light crew is 7-9 normally always fishing 2 teasers.

It doesn't really matter how many lines just go out and drive over some fish when they are hungry.

Have fun, remember most lures catch more fisherman than fish.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Jp. I guess it different strokes for different folks type of thing.my chair is midway in the length of the cockpit if I turn sideways with rod in chair it would conflict with the center rod holder.no big deal except I can walk around the chair.a rod holder is cheap when your building the gunwale what the hell!!!! I find the back injury quite a burden taking a 50 or 80 out of the rocket launcher and handing down from the bridge with a tuna running off the line for you no problem.that is why I dedicated two rod holders on each side for riggers and easy to take up a little or let out a little from gunwale.in my next life when I am healthy I will definitely try your method.on the 51 I have a big dude next to me to hand down that rod.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Bob

The Hawse pipe you have looks like the lid opens towards the bow. Would it not be better to turn it around so the rope feeds right in and no chance of the rope catching the top and ripping it off?
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Bob:

The easy way to drift with more lines in the water is to use release clips which are attached to large suction cups. I've fished as many as 5 lines off either the port or starboard side by using my 3 gunnel mounted rod holders as well as 2 out of my chair which were clipped in to the release clips and stuck on the cabin window and/or side of flybridge.

Tom
Carl

Post by Carl »

TailhookTom wrote:Bob:

The easy way to drift with more lines in the water is to use release clips which are attached to large suction cups. I've fished as many as 5 lines off either the port or starboard side by using my 3 gunnel mounted rod holders as well as 2 out of my chair which were clipped in to the release clips and stuck on the cabin window and/or side of flybridge.

Tom

The cheap and easy way is rubber bands....to the side cleats, outrigger base, bow rail, transom, reels, poles, tower, cabin rails and anything else that is in the area I want a flatline. Different thicknesses for different fishy's and conditions.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

tom i like that suction cup idea ,i have seen them but never use them . sometimes while sharking the wind or current picks up and one of the line with balloons on it starts to get to close to one of the others it would help to use one on the hawse pipe or a release clip .tony that anchor hawse pipe is very rarely used like i said in 5, of water in the bay with fortress anchor. line is always fasten on cleat first then excess in pipe. for normal victory at sea conditions better it open opposite the sea!!! really a no maintenance nice piece .i give a lot of respect to jp one seat bridge he watches the instruments, looks out for debris in the water .moniters the sonar ,trolls the contour of a temperature break,then he can turn around and reel in or let out line or take in to change spread and most of all hand that rod down to the cockpit with a big eye running 60mph. gentlemen this is a real captain!!!that rocket launcher on the 51 bertram is about 10' up i would look like a circus trapeze artist going over the stern holding that rod for dear life.jp you really have your act together.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Are you guys sure the the standard danforth anchor chock will hold my new Fortress FX16? Haven't been able to get down to the boat, my concern is that the shank on the fortress is thicker then a danforth.