B31 Windshield Replacement

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Bill B

B31 Windshield Replacement

Post by Bill B »

Hi Guys,

I think it is time to replace my windshield and side windows. The old aluminum is showing its age. Two questions. First, is American Marine still the "go to" shop for replacement windshields (frame + glass + curved plexi). Second, are there any boatyard recommendations in SE Florida where I can get this work done? I am in Coral Gables.

Many thanks!!

Bill
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

I would try Glasstech--I am sure they have done many.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I got my sides from American. Don't know about the curved parts.
spencer

Post by spencer »

Bill

I thought about this before fiberglassing the front windshield in and replacing the side window frames. I utilized Capt Patrick's kit that he offers for sale on the site for the side window frames and they look great.

If you want to keep the original look of aluminum I know
Cabrerra(in Miami) sells the windshield frame/side window frames with glass, he also sells a kit that has the frames made of fiberglass, as to where he gets them or fabricates them I do not know.

Danny at high tide marine in the keys sell the windshield frame/side eindow frame and glass , when I thought of going this route the set retailed for about 10,000. He has a site on the internet.

There is someone up in north or south carolin that has made window frames also, out of fiberglass but I cannot remember his name, he also makes them for other older boats. Hopefully someone else will remember the name.

For work down south I would recommend Cabrerra as I am using him now on my project and his work is of good quality. He has a site on the internet showing some of his items but has alot more of items available.

Hope this helps

Spencer
John Jackson

Post by John Jackson »

Bill, check out Boatwindows (http://www.boatwindowframes.com/bertram-31). They have what looks like a real good side window replacement and they have told me that they are very close to offering a front window replacement. High Tide Marine also has a very good looking front window replacement and lots of other parts (http://www.hightidemarine.cc/bertram-31.htm).

I looked high and low for a replacement front window but ultimately went with a Holmesy replacement unit (http://www.holmesyco.com/) and I wound up making side window frames following Capt. Patrick's building tips.
For me the cost/feasibility was an issue and the proven battleship effect of the Holmesy front carried the day. The replacement front window looks to me like it will work but I wanted a part with a track record to take me back and forth to the blue water 80 miles off of NJ.

As far as boat builders in Florida, there are a lot of boats in my area that were done at L&h in Stuart and every boat I have seen done by L&h is a work of art.
By the way, having done it, unless one has a lot of free time and likes to play with fiberglass, one would be out of his mind to build the frames rather than buy Capt. Patrick's kit. JJJ
John Jackson

Post by John Jackson »

Bill- two more things- the boat in the shed next to me right now is awaiting American side windows. The yard shipped them the old ones and the plan is that they will make exact replicas, best as I understand.

I also bought curved plexi windows a few years ago from American and put them in my boat. If I recall I sent them the old ones and they molded the new to fit the old and it worked out pretty well. I just had to grind the edges a little to get them to fit. They held up great for five years and were still fine when I took them out because the frames were shot.

If you call American they are very easy to work with. JJJ
Bill B

Post by Bill B »

Thanks everyone! This is great info and gives me a bunch of option. Now, I need to decide which way to go.... :shock: