b31 in brick nj

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Todd Pearce

b31 in brick nj

Post by Todd Pearce »

Hi,iam hoping that there is a b31 member who lives near brick nj as i live in New Zealand and there is a restore/project b31 for sale that I would love to get a first hand opinion on,before going to the trouble of flying up to look at it or buying sight unseen .
regards
Todd
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

todd
welcome i dont think you will have a problem, theres many members in nj
1968 hull # 316 - 757
Todd Pearce

Post by Todd Pearce »

thanks i hope your right
cheers Todd
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Tod

Welcome We have several members over that way. Someone may already know the boat. What Marina is it in and what is the name on her.

I will be over that way in two or three weeks. If that works for you I can help you out. If I can get over there sooner I will let you know.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Todd Pearce

Post by Todd Pearce »

Gee you guys really are great,boats is called "reel easy" shes on the hard,looks like someones front yard, listed on yacht world for 12k restore project which suits me Thanks agian for your interest and two or three weeks will be fine unlees there is someone closer,its great having a network like this when your on the other side of the world,
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

I live in Brick and know the owner. What do you want to know?
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

Not the reel easy I know. My neighbor looked at that boat two years ago. I will take a look, but he said it was a pile of crap. I picked up an old beat 31 Bertram with 3208 Cats for 7K. Needs lots of work, but it made the 70 mile trip to my dock. You can do better on a boat with power or offer 5K for that boat.
I will help you out any way I can.

Cbhaws@Verizon.net
Todd Pearce

Post by Todd Pearce »

Iam open to any b31 that hastnt had the front screen filled in,so if any knows of a cheaper boat that would be great, One with cats would be outstanding but how realistic is it to find one? the boat in brick appears to be complete and that important to me as there are no parts for them in this part of the world ,The main thing is that its stucture is sound ,Ill email you and arrange to call you if thats ok
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Todd

Cats are going to be hard to come by. They are out their but more of them have the Cummins or Yanmars.

Good Luck, looks like Charlie has your back.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
John Jackson

Post by John Jackson »

I have studied the pictures pretty closely and I bet you are looking at a complete rebuild- bulkheads and all. Are up for that kind of a job?
I work in Brick and I called the broker to find out where it is so I can go see it and I will let you know what I think. JJJ
jackryan

Post by jackryan »

Todd,

Would you consider a Bahia Mar? I know of a 31 Bahia Mar with GM 8.2 diesels. It a has a goofy retro fit flybridge on it and a real bad tower, both of which I would remove. It's gonna be a major project, but I think he's asking $15,000 for it, and it's been sitting for a long time. Probably get it for quite a bit less and he said he has a fiberglass deck for it.

I've always been told by guys with a lot more experience than me, you're better off buying a boat that's ready to go than buy a project. There are lot's of pretty low priced boats in decent shape. Just a thought.

JR
Todd Pearce

Post by Todd Pearce »

thanks guys,to answer both of you ,Iam not really a bahia man so thanks but no thanks, and yes I`am up for a project but ,The more I look the more I find,just today a 69 runner came up on ebay ,its in NJ as well,asking 12k,have emailed the seller ask for more info,if any one nows the boat let me know, Again thanks for everyones help Its awesome
capt2kids

Post by capt2kids »

Todd:
I sent you a PM
Michael

Post by Michael »

JR,
Sorry but I wouldn't touch those GM 8.2 diesels with a barge pole.
jackryan

Post by jackryan »

Michael,

I don't know much about the GM's. Someone told me the 6.2 were real junk, and the 8.2's weren't bad, but not sure I got that right. I'm glad I have the 4LHA-STP yanmars in mine. I took her out for a run today. 15 gusting to 20 and I hit 26 knots. I opened her up for a minute and got 29 kts (with lots of growth on the bottom)

JR
Todd Pearce

Post by Todd Pearce »

Hi, what HP are your yanmars ?I,am thinking about converting a pair of audi/vw 3ltr diesel engins from 2010 ,they are 235hp standard and are cheap to buy out of wreaked cars,Its the same base engine for the new cummins,they are easy to find,common rail,light,and run around the the same reves as a gas motor,When I spoke to the cummins rep and told him I was repowering a gas 31,He said thats exactly what the engine was designed for, a freind has one in his boat ,So quiet ,so much power,and instant,Only problem is they are 50k a piece down here verses 5k for a car motor,that leaves 90k in the kitty to play with,I think I can convert them for 8 to 10k a piece If one fails at that price, I wont even open it up for a look, I`ll just bin it and buy another