Gun wisdom

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

IRGuy

Gun wisdom

Post by IRGuy »

I received this in an email recently.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gun Wisdom

Some words to the wise. Shooting advice from various concealed carry Instructors. If you own a gun, you will appreciate this. If not, you should get one and learn how to use it:

A - Guns have only two enemies rust and politicians.

B - Its always better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

C -Cops carry guns to protect themselves, not you.

D - Never let someone or something that threatens you get inside arms length.

E - Never say "I’ve got a gun." If you need to use deadly force, the first sound they hear should be the safety clicking off.

F - The average response time of a 911 call is 23 minutes, the response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

G - The most important rule in a gunfight is: Always win - cheat if necessary.

H - Make your attacker advance through a wall of bullets . . . You may get killed with your own gun, but he'll have to beat you to death with it, cause it'll be empty.

I - If youre in a gun fight:
1/ If you're not shooting, you should be loading.
2/ If you're not loading, you should be moving,
3/ If you're not moving, you're dead.

J - In a life and death situation, do something . . . It may be wrong, but do something!

K -If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. Nonsense! If you have a gun, what do you have to be paranoid about?

L - You can say 'stop' or 'alto' or any other word, but a large bore muzzle pointed at someone's head is pretty much a universal language.

M - You cannot save the planet, but you may be able to save yourself and your family.
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
Josh Johnson

Post by Josh Johnson »

An imminently respected former colleague/mentor of mine from my carpentry days was a self-made residential contractor for whom I worked and subcontracted from time to time. He was a quiet, approachable fellow from Traphill, NC who was the very image of a Confederate calvary officer. He never harmed a soul, or wronged another human being in his life. He lived by a certain code, unpretentious, unassuming, honest and dependable. If he had his britches on, he had a pistol on him. If he didn't have them on, he could reach them. No display, no statement, no fuss.

His wife was a manager with an insurance company and he was taking her to New York for a business conference. I said "Paul, you know, it's against the law to carry a gun in New York City. Are you going to take your pistol with you when ya'll go?" I was sort of picking at him a little bit. He said, "Of course, I will". Somewhat humorously, I said "What if you get caught with it?"

He quietly settled the argument and placed the whole issue in perspective for me for my lifetime by respectfully replying "What if I get caught without it?"
Josh
Chanse

Post by Chanse »

and... Never pull out your weapon unless you intend to pull the trigger!
???(GUN)???
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

A is wrong.
The biggest enemy of guns are the dumbasses who think men are born with the ingrained ability to shoot and handle guns safely.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Bruce wrote:A is wrong.
The biggest enemy of guns are the dumbasses who think men are born with the ingrained ability to shoot and handle guns safely.

and... Never pull out your weapon unless you intend to pull the trigger!
???(GUN)???

that second one is the one I'd be scared of...

a split second of hesitation by a reasonably untrained person in that kind of situation will get killed when dealing with a mentally ill, drugged up lowlife that has ZERO hesitation.

Pulling a gun escalates the moment.

Everyone I argue this with tells me they won't hesitate...but the few I have dealt with in split second situations, including myself, I see a moments of inaction before action.

Someone entering your home and you have time to Pump the Shotgun is one thing to deter....face to face and pulling a gun is another.

Plus here in NYC...you pull that gun and use it in a situation considered less then life threatening...you got problems.

My opinion...
Morning Wood

Post by Morning Wood »

I carried one for 30 years. I now just retired. I didn't carry off duty then and I won't do it now. It is real easy to say yeah I will pull down and take a life. I was fortunate, I didn't have to pull mine on many occassions. But when I did it looked like a cannon in front of me. The tunnel vision you get is incredible.
So many training films and time spent in shoot don't shoot situations. Luckily I never had to take a life. IMHO unless you have adequate training don't carry. My mouth and demeanor got me out of more jams than my gun ever could.
Again just my .02
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Bruce wrote:A is wrong.
Like these:

http://www.pelapapas.com.mx/htmls/fail-disparos.html
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

I grew up in the country and we had several "city friends" who left their rifles and shotguns at our house for safekeeping. I was able to use any of them to hunt and target shoot once my stepfather accepted that I knew all the safety rules. I always respected them and was careful.

One winter afternoon when I was about 14 I was out hunting alone and returned to the house with a loaded Remington pump 12 ga shotgun. It was so cold I couldn't feel my fingers even though I had wool mittens on. Our rule was that the last thing you did before walking into the house was to pull the trigger so you were sure you weren't bringing a loaded gun into the house. I stood next to the front door and depressed the button on the side of the receiver as I pumped the slide to eject the shells in the magazine. Apparently my finger slipped off the button and I lost track of the shells that had fallen to the ground as I worked the action.

I was holding the gun casually pointed toward the frozen ground as I pulled the trigger for the last time. BANG! There was one remaining shell that I had pumped into the chamber but not ejected and it went off, blowing an 8" deep 18" diameter hole in the frozen ground. The edge of the hole was about a foot from my left foot. If I had been holding the gun closer to my body I would have probably blown my left foot off!

Ever since when I pick up any kind of firearm I think of that day and how stupid/lucky I was. It is a good reminder for me as to how dangerous firearms can be if not handled properly!
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
randall

Post by randall »

good lesson.....but it doesn't just hold true for firearms. i was a professional roofer but still made one thoughtless bonehead life changing decision with a ladder. you cant be too careful....just sorry.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

My brother in law would only carry a 22 deringer as his off duty revolver. He always said, if you need more than that it was a fight you did not want to be in without back up.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Rawleigh,
Did I see a wardrobe malfunction on one of those women?
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

My brother in law would only carry a 22 deringer as his off duty revolver. He always said, if you need more than that it was a fight you did not want to be in without back up.
Tony,
That's typical thinking from your general officer who is trained by academys that should have throw out the outdated 50's logic back in the 50's.

They are trained to rely on backup which in my opinion unless you are facing charging hords of zombies is flawed thinking.

A .22 as a backup to your main carry is marginal but in most cases will just piss someone off more. Will a .22 kill? Hell yea but all the stats out of the FBI and Justice dept that I regularly read show very low numbers of fatalities for .22 in a confrontation.

A properly trained person can handled multiple suspects.
I know I've done it, had no qualms about doing it and bought enough gun with me to make sure the three scumbags would drop on the first shot to each torso had I needed to shoot.

Off duty, you have the same mindset as the rest of us. Use the space between your ears and stay away from trouble spots but carry enough gun to get the job done without having to worry whether backup will arrive on time.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

"If you're going to a knife fight take a gun."
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Bruce

My brother in law was a NY City Transit cop. He had the reputation for never having trouble on any train he was on. He is a pretty big guy even now in his 70's. I asked him how he kept from having trouble on his trains back in the day that the subways were bad.

He used to get on the train and walk all the way through the train and he would look for the biggest kid on the train. He would tell them, if there was any trouble on his train, the first one he was coming looking for was the big kid.

Evidently worked for him.

Prbably would not work today. These thugs think differently today.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315