BottomSpeed coating

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Face

BottomSpeed coating

Post by Face »

Anyone have experience with the BottomSpeed coating made by the manufacturers of Propspeed? Not concerned with where it's manufactured, just first hand experience of pros and cons. :wink:
B.W. Outrage 18
Restoring B28 w/ Cummins 4BT 150's
Face

Post by Face »

B.W. Outrage 18
Restoring B28 w/ Cummins 4BT 150's
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Yes good product however slime does cover it .when we pull the boats out at end of season and the yard men clean bottom with high pressure water.the water removes both bottom speed and prop. Speed .you would have to go to the yard and hand wash the slime off the bottom?? That is If you can get at all areas before being blocked I find it hard to believe the travel lift is going to sit there while you take off slime by hand. Barnacles don't stick to prop speed But you will get slime and green algee .while on the subject I have problems with my boat bottom. I use micron crc and I get white freckles of the inter protect bottom paint at end of season so the micron is wearing off correctly but anything bronze although cover with bottom paint get barnacles all over it like struts,bay strainers,thru hull fittings.the stainless shafts,stainless rudders with no protection other then prop speed only receives a little slime.--------------what gives???????
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Bob

One question, barnacles grow on the prop/bottom speed. For a boat that moves only on weekends, do the barnacles just wash off?

Here is my theory on metal. There always some galvanic action. I believe it attracts the barnacles, even though there is paint on the metal.

I used to put that spray anti fouling paint that you can't get anymore on my props. Always had good luck and did not get much build up. But I used my last can two years ago.

Now, as an experiment, last year I put two coats of Rejex on my props. The second coat, I never took off, I let it dry. When I pulled the boat not a barnacle on the props. A freak year maybe. My bottom came up totally spotless. Not a barnacle anywhere. I think I just got lucky. I usually come up clean except for some of the metal. This year I was clean.

I am thinking about trying liquied glass on the props this spring to see what happens.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

tony you have a point however 316 ss ( rudders) in theory should be more subseptible to galvanic action but never get barnacles. it seems like bronze which is the lowest noble factor attract the most barnacles right thru the micron extra ( last year i changed from micron csc) every year same results ,structs cover with barnacles. maybe this year remove all paint from structs and use prop speed on bronze stunts to see if i get results as rudders.people ask me all the time " those huge rudders are going to be a mess at end of year" but they perfect every year. however there is a round zinc on rudders but no zinc on structs possible you may be on to something with the galvanic theory.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473