NY Boat Show

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

In Memory Walter K

NY Boat Show

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Anyone go to the Show at Javits Center this past week? Any reports or opinions?
Whaler1777

Post by Whaler1777 »

Small show when it came to the boats... The vendors weren't bad, got a great price on some racor fuel filters and also learned of some interesting new products! I enjoyed it...
'79 Bertram 31' Sedan
Carl

Post by Carl »

If friends are going I'll go just to spend time with friends. Otherwise the days of deals, making contacts and the Wow factor are gone. Just my opinion.
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

yea i kinda agree wtyh sim, not what it used to be
1968 hull # 316 - 757
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

I made a great deal on a custom 6 man raft. Exactly the way I want it with no provisions because I carry everything possible in ditch bag.every extra like water activated strobe beacon,canopy,self righting,etc.they even deliver tomy house.viking bent over backwards.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Carl

Post by Carl »

bob lico wrote:I made a great deal on a custom 6 man raft. Exactly the way I want it with no provisions because I carry everything possible in ditch bag.every extra like water activated strobe beacon,canopy,self righting,etc.they even deliver tomy house.viking bent over backwards.

Not saying a great deal cannot be had...but last time I went with a buddy looking to replace his Genset. We found a dealer who had exactly what he wanted, plug and play, offered a great price, install seemed in line..shook hands on deal, plopped his card down for the deposit was told to call in a week or so after the boat show to arrange install.
The following week he called as requested to set up a day and time for install only to be told the last Genset of that generation was sold later that day at the boat show...the new model was a bucket load more money plus he required a new harnesses and install would be more plus he hit him with travel time. Think the kicker was it was after the boat show and companies were no longer Honoring the "Special Boat Show Pricing". Dealer was a real prick...could have called him, should have held the last gen set...just a prick. Not saying that is the norm...but it was my last boat show and left a bad taste and it wasn't a great taste to begin with.
Dug

Post by Dug »

I went and the best part was seeing the members of the crew! John, Bob, and Anthony were there and Liz and I had a great time seeing them. Were also there with my hosts for the weekend, another Bertram owner who lives in Rye who I have been friends with since college. It is a completely social visit for me. I echo the sentiments about it not really being about the boats anymore, as I am not in the market for a Sea Ray or a new center console at this point.

Otherwise, always good to see boat stuff in January!!!

Dug
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

viking salesman kept his promise . the liferaft was delivered today and due to hazmat content shipping was expensive but they paid the freight ,even sent sent a cd.--------honest company!!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Carl

Post by Carl »

bob lico wrote:viking salesman kept his promise . the liferaft was delivered today and due to hazmat content shipping was expensive but they paid the freight ,even sent sent a cd.--------honest company!!

Bob, hope I didn't get you worried, sorry if I did....I was just relaying one bad experience with one unscrupulous company owner. Times were tough and I guess he just opted to have cash in hand and then harpoon my friend thinking all the other boat show deals were off the table... he came in just under where everyone else was, but way higher then the original deal. Guess he didn't know I was friends with a legitimate dealer who gave him a fair price...not as good as with boat show discounts...but fair.

I know many are great companies to deal with...many are my customers and venders...but I see them weekly, so no real need to keep up those relations at a boat show. I guess I am just tired of walking around looking at boats I wouldn't buy if I had the money. I see a few go fasts...but seen them before to one degree or another...love to have one for a few days...then I'd be board.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Carl I think it is just my way of thinking. I want it my way and Viking understood this and went the extra mile.i go through this same situation every time I buy a truck for myself . I want all the bell and whistles but without leather interior. "we cannot do this sir" yea but someone will to make the sale! i know there are so many people you describe and honor is a thing of the past.however dealing with the the nordic country's in the past 10 years or so have been a pleasure.denmark,Norway,holland,sweden purchase quite a few boats both new and brokerage with great satisfaction on both sides.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Carl

Post by Carl »

bob lico wrote:.i go through this same situation every time I buy a truck for myself . I want all the bell and whistles but without leather interior. "we cannot do this sir" yea but someone will to make the sale!

Just bought a Jeep and went thru a similar issue. Knew exactly what I wanted, knew what I wanted to pay. Went into local dealer and Salesman told me no matches to be had in his inventory nor at any dealership in the region. I could order and wait 6-8 weeks... Not what I wanted...He said he'd keep looking and give me a call the following day. No call, I called him and he requested to call me back shortly...no call back. Same thing at another local dealership. So I contacted a buddy and he called his guy at an upstate dealership and Walla, he found something very close, installed the items that lacked and was driving it home a couple days later.

Following week local dealership sales guy calls and requests I stop by...it's on my way home so figure what the hell. I go in and he gives me a song and dance as to how he searched every dealership across the country and the Vehicle I want does not exist, period. He went on to say I had two choices either order new and wait or compromise on what I wanted. Told him, I found one just the way I wanted, he could come out and take a look if he wished...I got a blank stare then asked were I got it. I shook his hand and thanked him for his time.

Some guys just don't want to work a little more then they have too.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I enjoy hearing about stuff like that!
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

sim
iam with walter love the story and the outcome
1968 hull # 316 - 757