Just bought 1986 bertram 28

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

bertram 20

Just bought 1986 bertram 28

Post by bertram 20 »

i just bought my self a new to me boat wanted some suggestions on getting old fuel tank out ?I am not taking any chances with old one.The tank in this boat is massive 245gallons thanks for any ideas.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Is that a 28 Bahia Mar? Gas Inboards with shafts? That 245 gallon tank is fiberglass? I didn't think that size tank was standard for that boat. Is the deck removable? Fiberglass or Nautilux covered plywood like the B-31's were?
bertram 20

Post by bertram 20 »

no not a 28 bahiamar 28 FBC with fiberglass tank still
BCBertie

Post by BCBertie »

The rear deck comes out pretty easy (well, it did on mine!). I've heard the the FBCII tank was anywhere from about 230 gallons on up to 265. They are held in with the typical Bertram blob of resin and occasionally tabbed to the stringers.

Poly-u-mac makes all three of the B28 tanks (they are the source of tanks for both Bertram and High Tide)...

http://www.polyumac.com/Tanks.html#

Good luck!

John
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Bert 20, My tank came out the hard way...cut all tabs holding it down, most likely foamed in place, put lifting tension on the factory lift points, I used a mini excavator and had the back of the hull lifted off the stands..i then made some wedges and drove them in from both ends until it gave up and popped free..have fun...BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?