Awlgrip flattening agent?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Preston Burrows

Awlgrip flattening agent?

Post by Preston Burrows »

Anyone have any first hand recommendations as to what can be used as a substitute for Awlgrip's flattening agent?

Without compromising the 'integrity' of the Awlgrip paint.....

I cannot get Awlgrip's flattening agent off the shelf locally.

I'd like to tone down the gloss finish of the Awlgrip paint I'm going to use for re-painting the non-skid on the deck of my flybridge if I can use a substitute.

Sanding is not an option as I will be applying the non skid particles [Awlgrip's Griptex] same time as the paint.
Preston Burrows
1976 B28 FBC
BERF1398M76J-285
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

if you wanna consider interlux perfection, they have an off the shelf flattening agent.
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Awlgrip G3013Q, 1010 Flatting Agent for Topcoat-Qt is available from numerous online sources... (Google search)
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

gloss paint will reflect heat, repel dirt, and be easier to clean then a flatter finish. I would really think it over if that gloss bothers you or not.
JeremyD

Post by JeremyD »

Raybo Marine NY wrote:gloss paint will reflect heat, repel dirt, and be easier to clean then a flatter finish. I would really think it over if that gloss bothers you or not.
Amen - on another boat I used the flattening agent on nonskid - just the nonskid. It was harder to clean up and it stained. I ended up doing it over with the regular gloss
1977 B31 (315 Cummins) Build thread --->https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-ho ... model.html
2010 Key West Bay Reef | 150 Yamaha
1986 Bertram 28 260 Mercruisers [SOLD]
Preston Burrows

Gents:

Thanks for the replies and happy christmas to you all.

Bertramp: I have Awlgrip already in hand.....and Interlux's flattening agent is not sold off the shelf here either....if it was I wonder if it would be compatible with Awlgrip?

Capt Pat; cheers, to get a quart to me here in Nassau would cost a couple of hundred bucks between freight/hazmat/duty charges for which it's not that important.

Raybo; good points.....and no the gloss won't bother me,especially if it's cheaper...so I'll go with what I have....I was hoping someone would have an old painters trick that would have me saying ddddduuuuuhhhhh why didn't I know that!

Pleasant holidays to you.
Preston Burrows
1976 B28 FBC
BERF1398M76J-285
Preston Burrows

JeremyD:

Our messages crossed, thanks very much for adding your first hand experience.......gloss it is and gloss it shall be!
Preston Burrows
1976 B28 FBC
BERF1398M76J-285
Preston Burrows

Nothing like the sweet smell of Awlgrip in the morning!

This morning I applied the first coat of Awlgrip with the Griptex non-skid particles,tomorrow,weather permitting, I shall apply a second coat of paint only......thanks again to those who offered advice to me of this!

Preston Burrows
1976 B28 FBC
BERF1398M76J-285
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

if I had known you were rolling it I definitely would have told you to eliminate the flattening agent- good call going with the gloss.
Preston Burrows

Raybo:

Cheers, I'm seriously thinking at what a 'cheap' air compressor and spray gun etc would cost me so I can spray Awlgrip..........those side panels on the flybridge are looking in need of paint now that the deck is glossy....... and would be good training.....

Plus I'd rather spend the prep time masking off and suiting/gearing up than having panic attacks when I realize I only have 2 hands to roll,tip,spread Griptex etc.

Needed a helper yesterday......the boat was rocking in the slip like the B28 it is and it was fairly warm with full sun so I had to work fast........
Preston Burrows
1976 B28 FBC
BERF1398M76J-285
Harry Woods

Post by Harry Woods »

Preston,
Alexseal Topcoat 501, Topcoat Converter Brush CO5012 and Topcoat Reducer Brush R1015 are great solution for brush applications. Your bridge side panels are easily removed and can be laid horizontal for application. Colors match very close to Awlgrip and the results are great.
Harry
JeremyD

Post by JeremyD »

spraying Awgrip - not a good idea - it has some real nasty chemicals that disperse in aerosol. Not for the ill equipped.
1977 B31 (315 Cummins) Build thread --->https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-ho ... model.html
2010 Key West Bay Reef | 150 Yamaha
1986 Bertram 28 260 Mercruisers [SOLD]
Preston Burrows

Harry: Cheers, Alexseal is not available here....basic supplies of Awlgrip and Interlux products are,......and yes I would take the panels off and paint them on the horizontal on the hard.

JeremyD:No worries, I have access to / use of respiratory safety gear and if I did spray would not compromise myself without.

Rolled on the second/final coat of Awlgrip only today, the results are reassuring to my feet and pleasing enough to the eye!

Someone walking the dock asked me if it's possible to tint the Awlgrip base colours....I know you can mix different Awlgrip base colours together as you wish.....but don't know if you can take Awlgrip in to a paint store and have it tinted just so?

Don't know about dock walkers and some of the questions asked, but it got me wondering is all!
Preston Burrows
1976 B28 FBC
BERF1398M76J-285