All's well that ends well, the chock

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Mikey

All's well that ends well, the chock

Post by Mikey »

The last chapter of the bow chock insident is that Wayne Fultz contacted me and had exactly what I wanted at a fair price and he has sent it to me. It is better than described and I am planning on it's future home on the bow of Dreamsicle. Thanks Wayne.
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
Dug

Post by Dug »

Mikey,

I am glad it worked out well for you.

I have to say to everyone that I don't see Ebay as a good match with this group at times. I think that the ability to claim an item as one you want to bid on is a somewhat unfair approach. While I think that Mikey didn't end up with what he wanted early on, Ebay is a public forum, and there is nothing to say that someone other than a B31 participant could come in at the last moment and snatch it up. Long story short, when push comes to shove, all bets are off when it comes to ebay in my mind.

At the same time, I really agree that to have us bidding against each other is not a good thing either.

I would like to suggest that perhaps if multiple people are interested in the same item that they discuss it amongst one another. This would be done not to establish who would "be able to buy" the item, but to enable those of us here, who universally enjoy each other, consider each other friends, and in truth team mates, to communicate.

I guess I just don't see any way to "win" in a situation when it comes to ebay. At least not without someone potentially feeling pressured, or like they were cheated. Aka Mikey.

Just my thoughts trying to communicate about what I see as just a tough one to make work for everyone...

Dug
ScottD

E-bay bidding

Post by ScottD »

Dug, you have a point about E-bay being an open forum where anyone can bid. I however will not bid against anyone from this site who notifies us of there interest in something, and would be dissapointed in anyone who did. My guess is, you wouldn't either, so it's just a values think, either you have them or you don't.

ScottD
Whaler1777

Post by Whaler1777 »

Why dont we just carry this on forever?
'79 Bertram 31' Sedan
Dug

Post by Dug »

Scott,

I guess my values are pushing me to ask if there might be a better way to go about Ebay.

Now, as for bow chocks, I have contacted some friends who run a foundry. Let's see if we can get some of these things made and satisfy everyone!

Dug
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Now that's a big time, long term solution! Walter
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Dug,
If you're serious about a modern incarnation of the revered bow chock I would ask a questions. If you do a new one would it be blasphemy to modify it slightly, not in appearance but in practicality. Since it is the concensus of the group that getting the lights to work consistantly is a fruitless effort how about eliminating the bumps on the bottom, thus eliminating holes in the bow which will leak. Close up the light-fixture holes making them solid. It seems most restorations add side lights which are brighter and don't quit at critical times.
Now if you prodeed with this, the chock I just got from Wayne is smooth and has very little corrosion and is a flat top (no holes) so would be a good candidate for the mold.
Can we talk, here?
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
Capt. Mike Holmes

Talk

Post by Capt. Mike Holmes »

Mikey, how can you talk with that stick in your mouth? (Your "avator" picture!).

It's cold and rainy here, supposed to get colder and icey. Stuck inside, looking for pictures for an article. Moderate drinking may follow.
"There is nothing quite so satisfying, as simply messing around in boats."
Buju

Post by Buju »

Is the chock from the 31 the same as the 25? I figured it was larger than the B25 chock...
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

Good post, Scott...................................
I'm not sure but indecision may or may not be my problem.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

If you can do a redesign to you could use todays LED lights the thing could last forever. I'm trying to get a set to fit in ours.... No luck yet.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Mine is one of the early ones. The two top pieces have screws holding them down and give easy access to the reflectors and bulbs. They are designed so it is impossible to put themn back incorrextly. If a mold for a duplicate is made, for those who are going to use side lights, it doesn't matter if they are functional or not. If you're a purist and/or are going to want to wire them up, I would think it should be made up as the real thing. Not going to wire it? Same installation sans wires, and the same look as long as the reflectors are in...and you'll need them as they act as chafe guards when the docking ropes slide over them. My 2 cents-Walter
Dug

Post by Dug »

I have one that I can use for a mold.

I have thought about filling in the openings for lights, as I agree it is tough to use them, and to rehab them.

I would likely make them without light openings. I guess most of that would depend on the price difference. To be honest, I think they will be expensive, and it won't pan out, but you don't know unless you try, right?

Captain Holmes, I don't know what exactly cold is, but right now it is 30ish, and raining here. Downright icky. Yes, that is a word...

Dug
Capt. Mike Holmes

Cold

Post by Capt. Mike Holmes »

Only 41 here now, by what my truck tells me, but supposed to drop below freezing tonight, maybe stay there awhile just off the coast - with freezing rain and sleet probable. Yesterday it was 70. 30's is damn cold for where I live.

Damn that Al Gore and his glowball warming!
"There is nothing quite so satisfying, as simply messing around in boats."
John F.

Post by John F. »

Dug-

One solid piece--same look, just a chock without lights.

John F.
Ironman

Post by Ironman »

Yeah we r having some of that Glow ball warming here in So Cal. it frosted last night & killed alot of tropical plants..One of my diesels wouldnt even start, (Not the bert)Got my heater on now .. aawww.
Wayne
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

Dug if you did it in one solid piece as John suggests, anyone who wants to install lights could have the holes machined to whatever size lights they chose to install.
Dug

Post by Dug »

Yup, and given that we have a machine shop, I could customize slightly depending on desired configuration. I should know more by the end of the week.

Enjoy...

D
scot

Post by scot »

Buju,

I believe they are the same....but don't tell these guys or they will gobble up our 25 chocks. I had no idea when I came home with my boat that the the freakin Mona Lisa was bolted on the bow.

And Mickey, How do you talk with that stick in your mouth?
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
Buju

Post by Buju »

Thanks Scot. Can anyone varify?