bertram 28 question?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

bertram 20

bertram 28 question?

Post by bertram 20 »

went to look at 86 bert 28 i had a question about the way the exhaust is set up.Can anyone tell me why the exhaust comes out the side of boat and the water exits the stern,they seem to have changed this from the older boats which just exit out of the stern.2nd question where can you get new plastic pieces that exhaust comes out of they are in kinda rough shape. thanks mike
Eddy G

Post by Eddy G »

Not sure why the split exhaust system. Most have been changed to straight out the back. As for where to get the fiberglass exhaust outlets, Hightide Marine has the molds to make them. http://www.hightidemarine.cc/vents.htm
Eddy G.
Skipper Dick

Post by Skipper Dick »

Mike,

I've got an 83 B28 and I believe that 83 was the first year that the exhaust system was changed. I'm not sure why they changed it, but the exhaust coming off the side and into the slip stream instead out of the back and into a vortec works for me. I'll have to dig into that.

They also changed the interior a little as well as increasing the height of the gunnels.

My exhaust ports were dinged a bit from docking I suspect. I took them off and mixed up some epoxy and fairing compound and made them look new after re-painting. My guess is that it would be less expensive to do that than buy new ones custom made.

Dick
1983 Bertram 28 FBC w/300 Merc Horizon
JeremyD

Post by JeremyD »

I have a 1986 with the side exhausts too - Not sure why - but they are there. I cleaned up with some simple green - but may also take them off and repaint (I have some extra awlgrip right now)
1977 B31 (315 Cummins) Build thread --->https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-ho ... model.html
2010 Key West Bay Reef | 150 Yamaha
1986 Bertram 28 260 Mercruisers [SOLD]
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

Guys:

I was told that they moved the exhaust to exit out the side to minimize the station wagon effect of the exhaust when running. As others pointed out, in a following sea or tailwind the exhaust could theoretically cause an issue in the cabin and for passengers in the cockpit. In my B28 owners manual, they don't actually discuss that reason but do point out the concerns about this.
dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

Its definetly a stock setup. Makes them very quiet. I had/have the same setup on my 33. I stuck with it when I switched to diesels back in 2007. Its called Velocijet.

Not sure that 83 was the first year though as my 1981 28 had them as well. The below link is not my boat but it clearly has them:

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/ ... &noOfPic=1

If you can, pull the cockpit panels to check where the inside of the slot adheres to the hull. They will pull away over time and dump exhaust and water back into the hull. Its an easy fix to re-attach them.
Regards,

Doug L.
bertram 20

Post by bertram 20 »

thanks for all the info guys and have a great Holiday!
JeremyD

Post by JeremyD »

Good info - here's the exhaust on mine
1977 B31 (315 Cummins) Build thread --->https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-ho ... model.html
2010 Key West Bay Reef | 150 Yamaha
1986 Bertram 28 260 Mercruisers [SOLD]
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I'm surprised how high it is on the hull. Don't the fumes rise up into the cockpit when warming up at the dock or slow trolling? I would think it would piss off the guys on either side of you at the marina.
dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

Nope. No fumes or smoke. It works even better with my diesels. I've got the quietest boat in my marina.
Regards,

Doug L.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Terrific!
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

My '83 FBC has the Velocijet exhaust system as well. There is a tangential outlet from the mufflers that diverts most of the gas exhaust to the side outlets. We B33 owners call the side outlets "mail slots".

There is no need to buy replacement mail slots! I suspect that yours are probably cracked and scratched as mine were. I removed them and ground out the cracks and dings with a Dremel tool with a burr type bit, then replaced all the missing material with thickened epoxy. I sanded the surfaces flush and primed them. They look as good as new now.

If you are tied up alongside a float with the engines idleing and you quickly shove the throttle control on the float side to about 1/3 and quickly pull it back you will eject about 5 gallons of water out the slot on that side. A great thing to do when there are lots of looky-loos on the floats!
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!