will wonders ever ceased

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

bob lico

will wonders ever ceased

Post by bob lico »

the team is in Belgium at supreme Nato command hq. installing "mirrors" / lightning protection . well i guess no watching the jet game --right! nope they called a NY. friend and he put a camcorder in front of a big flat screen then set up Skype between laptops and they watched the game.----------a new world we live in!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Bob
The 8 track cassette player was at the heigth of technology (on a common user level) when I was in high school in the late 60's.

My mother in law died at the age of 48. She died in 1976 of breast cancer.

Jo Ann and I make statements about her missing the best part of life and how she would be so amazed at technology of today.

Amazing

hb
hb
randall

Post by randall »

it always amazes me that my grand ma was born on a dairy farm in a house with no electric or plumbing, before there were paved roads , before airplanes..........and lived to see a man walk on the moon. (not to mention elvis on TV) unless they go to teleportation or time travel.....there will never be a leap like that again in one life time.
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Isn't it statistically more likely that the rate of innovation (change) will increase?

Possunt quia posse videntur
Carl

Post by Carl »

randall wrote:it always amazes me that my grand ma was born on a dairy farm in a house with no electric or plumbing, before there were paved roads , before airplanes..........and lived to see a man walk on the moon. (not to mention elvis on TV) unless they go to teleportation or time travel.....there will never be a leap like that again in one life time.

I'd disagree with you. Technology is growing in leaps and bounds today, much faster then ever before. You may not see life altering changes like going from an Outhouse to Indoor Plumbing...but it wasn't too long where chances are we would have never met or corresponded with each other and now we do on a daily basis, due to Computers, Internet, Wireless...hell we can do this on my Smart Phone.

Computers have gone from those big Mainframe Giants that take up an entire building to fitting into the palm of your hand and they can do more...

Video games...have gone from Pong to Virtual Reality played with people around the world.

My trade has gone from Strictly "Hands On" from Design to Fabrication. Now I create parts on a Computer with Computer Aided Design Programs, I make a 3-D Models to send to Customers via Internet for Approval. Then load Model into a Computer Aided Machine Program where I Virtual Machine the part on the Computer checking for errors and mistakes along the way. Once that is done I have software generate Programs which I transfer to Machines via Thumbdrive, Floppy or Cable. Machines run parts automatically via Computer Control.

If I leave shop...I can watch whats going on anytime via Smart Phone. It links to Shops Security System.

I could go on and on...but technology is expanding quickly...

CJ
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

To a point where it's scary. Yet we can release a spy drone over unfriendly territory with the latest in technology/computerization, made with super secret stealth materials and cameras with the capacity to pick out an individual from thousands of feet, with no self destruct capability if it were to get into the wrong hands? In the words of Ron White, "you can't fix stupid"! And you can't replace "street smarts".
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

I'm gonna guess we will continue to be amazed.

Just imagine what people must have thought when steam engines in mid 1700s, the light bulb, telephone or wireless telegraph was invented in the mid 1800s or talking movies in the 1920s.

Now imagine my ten year old nephew explaining the many uses of an iPhone to one of these great inventors while on a 5 hour flight from NY to London. My guess is these guys would think this stuff is way cooler then time travel.

Let's just hope whatever is invented 100 years from now is more like a microchip then an atom bomb.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Yet in all this technology we still can't create an honest politician.

Look back over the last 50 years as man has supposedly gotten "smarter".

Corruption has risen, morals have declined, murder and abuse of children has risen and concern for our fellow man has been replaced with go **** yourself.

I'd say we've made real progress. Can't wait for the next 50 years.
Carl

Post by Carl »

PeterPalmieri wrote:My guess is these guys would think this stuff is way cooler then time travel.

Let's just hope whatever is invented 100 years from now is more like a microchip then an atom bomb.
We already have time travel, its just done one day at a time...

100 years from now...hopefully we are still around. Which brings me to advances in the medical field...

My grandfather was given 6 months to a year at best when his heart condition was diagnosed. With a couple procedures and new medicines he went on to live another 2o plus years. When he did pass, it was not his heart that did him in either...in fact doctors commented on the fact he had such a strong heart that just would not give up.

I am amazed at medical advances...think of the many ailments that would have taken lives not all that long ago...We still have a ways to go...but still such incredible advances.

Hell, my allergies kept me sedated and miserable to a large degree ever September, October for years and years. Finally Doreen found the right Doctor and Meds, now a pill once a day with a Nasal Spray and I'm good with little side affects. Not earth shattering...but its 8 weeks I get to live a good bit happier every year.