Electronics Guru's....I am asking for advice

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Harry Babb

Electronics Guru's....I am asking for advice

Post by Harry Babb »

Can you guys tell me your recommendations on a Depth Sounder that will be used on a G3 Aluminum boat in the River Delta and Bays.

I like the looks, features and price of the Hummingbird 385i.

Is this a good unit or not......or are there other brands in this price range that out last and out perform the Hummingbird?

hb
hb
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Harry - I've had several Humminbirds with good results, nice stuff for short money. AJ came to me in the early 90s with a Humminbird color sounder that was a very good unit....knonked out once and they fixed it way out of warranty for free. The CRT began to dim and I replaced it with a SiTex CRT years ago and that still works. The Garmin black box add on to their chart plotters is the cat's meow in my book.

UV
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Went to Bass Pro and looked at the Hummingbirds. While I was there the sales guy showed me a Lowrance M68 (I think was the model) for a couple hundred bucks.

He told me that it was the best bang for the buck. Being quite doubtful I came home and searched for online reviews.

Several of them was not so good....got onto some Bass Fishing forum and a couple of guys really trashed them. Said that 3 or 4 years ago the lower end Lowrance was pretty good stuff but not anymore.

Read several reviews on Hummingbird......all good.

So today I ordered a 385ci Hummingbird.

We will see! ! !

hb
hb