Hand held GPS

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Capt.Frank

Hand held GPS

Post by Capt.Frank »

Looking for imput on a new handheld GPS. I have a old garmin GP12 and am looking for a little bigger screen and color screen with maps. Would like it for back up on B31 and used duck hunting in skiff in dark. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Frank
1976 FBC
3208 NA
jrhaszard

GPS

Post by jrhaszard »

I have been told you can call Garmin and ask about reconditioned units for sale.Also,there is a possibility they may take your old one in trade.I put a Chesapeake bay data card in my garmin 296 aviation handheld and use it as a backup marine device.It is color and can be switched from automotive,marine or aviation mode.The aviation database is preloaded while you must buy the card for auto or marine.Don't know if they sell used data cards or not.Works great.
BERG1847M80F
Capt.Frank

Post by Capt.Frank »

thanks, What is everyone else using for back up GPS?
1976 FBC
3208 NA
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

I have two Simrad chartplotters. There on seperat power. I have another not hooked up in the firstaid kit for super extra backup.
Diego

Post by Diego »

I just recently ventured into an iPad, and before i scare to many people away with that fist comment (like i was), i bought the Navionics program in the APP store for around $45. This mapping system which is the same that my Raymarine C120 operates is 100% identical on the iPad than that on the boat. The iPad has an internal GPS units (which doesn't need cell service to work). Yea its a little big and harder to hold than you everyday handheld GPS. But what a beauty to see your speed, heading, track information, and especially the mapping that you normally see on your head unit.

For $45 bucks (if you already have an iPad) i really recommend it.

Diego
Bertram 31- Panama
"Catalina"
JeremyD

Post by JeremyD »

I have both a garmin hand held - and use both the iNavx (and Navionics app) application on my Iphone - and plan on using both on my Ipad with the marine mount.

(with the ram-mount)
1977 B31 (315 Cummins) Build thread --->https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-ho ... model.html
2010 Key West Bay Reef | 150 Yamaha
1986 Bertram 28 260 Mercruisers [SOLD]
wmachovina

Post by wmachovina »

I have a Furuno nav net on the boat and bought the navionic charts on sale for $4.99 on sale for my IPad. Took it to the Abacos this summer and the iPad was spot on, easier to use than the navnet. Used the hi priced ziploc gallon iPad holder for wx proofing. Gonna make a semi permanent mount. Great piece of gear.
Bill
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Let me get this straight: You guys used the new Apple Ipad as your GPS backup? With the Navionics app it becomes a chartplotter? No antenna necessary. There is a marine mount (as per that picture) that is available? From Apple or West Marine? Is there a 12 V power plug in on the Ipad? If all this is so, it looks like a great addition to anyone's bridge and a reason to buy an Ipad anyway.
wmachovina

Post by wmachovina »

Walter, I used my iPad all over the Abacos with the avionics charts installed, usually $50 but I got on sale for $4.99 on the app store. My iPad is a 3G/wifi model. My understanding is the wifi only does not have the gps( could be wrong) . Anyway with no antenna no wifi signal, and no 3G signal ith worked great.crossed from Stuart to Walkers and didn't get lost,down to hopetown to see flaskater and it was great. Accuracy in my opinion was typical gps of 30 ft or so.battery life was two days or so,charged it off of an inverter.in marinas used their wifi for email,Netflix and the typical.absolutely recommended as abackup and from a, I used it standpoint, it could be a primary
Bill
JeremyD

Post by JeremyD »

mine is just wifi - it works with GPS antenna - yep internal

first picture is ipad with navionics

this is ipad with iNavX application

3rd show the set up screen -

I like the iNavX once you get used to using it. You can set an anchor alarm pretty easily - as long as I am in cell phone range - I can email my position. You can also export your positions - or route in many formats - including google earth .kml - which is pretty cool to view on a computer screen later
1977 B31 (315 Cummins) Build thread --->https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-ho ... model.html
JeremyD

Post by JeremyD »

Tough to beat - even at $499. App is under $50 mount from RAM-mounts

http://www.ram-mount.com/NewProducts/Ap ... fault.aspx

where else can you find a 10 inch touch screen display chart plotter - that the kids can play games on when the bite goes slow...
In Memory Walter K

That looks great. Forgive my dumb questions. Does the unit track your position and route (dotted line)? Can you store waypoints? In one of the pictures there was a mounting bracket. Is that an apple accessory? When you buy a Navionics app, does it cover everywhere or do you have to purchase a specific chart area like when you buy chips for your Marine GPS? What a wonderful way to have a backup AND transferable GPS for a second boat.
In Memory Walter K

Jeremy- You answered one of my questions.What an army of choices! Thanks. Wouldn't/couldn't adding a weather app make it an even more desirable addition on your bridge? I assume since my son has that capability on his smartphone that this is possible.
wmachovina

Post by wmachovina »

Walter, a wx app is good but you need a connection, either wifi or 3G to download data. If I'm close to shore radar downloads are available. The charts I got were Maine to the Virgin Islands
Bill
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

I Have an iPad and hesitated but am going to go for it now.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
JeremyD

Post by JeremyD »

Walter K wrote:That looks great. Forgive my dumb questions. Does the unit track your position and route (dotted line)? Can you store waypoints? In one of the pictures there was a mounting bracket. Is that an apple accessory? When you buy a Navionics app, does it cover everywhere or do you have to purchase a specific chart area like when you buy chips for your Marine GPS? What a wonderful way to have a backup AND transferable GPS for a second boat.
Yes, functions like a regular gps - you can save waypoints - you can save routes... the mount is from Ram Mounts - but there are many options out there. I bought the Navionics chip for my Lowrance on the other boat - and got the same 5.99 deal for the app. But that was after I started using it with the iNavx on my iPhone

Yes you need a good weather app and 3G or close to a wifi source to get weather. There is a way (jailbreak) for me to turn my iPhone into a wifi hotspot (wireless) but I'm not sure I'm that far along yet. I use the weather channel - and one of my local TV stations has a great streaming weather app.

I also use sailflow - and windalert - the wind alert sends me a text whenever one of the local wind reporting stations reports gusts over 30 knots... Quite useful in the summertime...

I can imagine at some point - from someone smarter than me - that could integrate a satellite type connection to the internet - that also serves as a wireless/wired connection that allows you to receive (internet, wireless, VOIP/VHF) in one nice connected package.
Diego

Post by Diego »

Yes, with the navionics you have to buy a certain region. But once you get it, it covers a pretty big area and the detail and information is 100% worth it. Every marker, inlet, rock that comes our on your head unit comes out here, on your iPad. You can mark waypoints, track your current route with speed. The new update i did, gives me my locations tide, moon phase, and sunrise and sunset all without a 3G or wifi connection. Basically all you have to do is have the iPad and buy the app and your "turn key" ready to go. They sell different charge plugs what i recommend, is an external battery charger as a "back up". You plug the external battery charger to the wall and charge IT at the house. Once full of charge you can connect it to your iPad and charge it roughly 4-5 times (fully). That way if your gen set goes out for whatever reason and you don't have a inverter, you can charge it with this external charger. costs about $50.

Diego
Bertram 31- Panama
"Catalina"
Peter

Post by Peter »

Is the display on the iPad read-able in bright daylight?

I have an iPhone and find that this is its major drawback on the boat.

I have been wondering when someone would eventually bring the relatively inexpensive technology consumer WiFi tablets to the nav sation. After all the capability is pretty much all there.

BTW the iPhones now all come with a built in compass utility which is not only pretty handy as a compass, but also as a hand bearing compass... for those of us that are old enough to actualy know what a hand bearing compass does and how to do it.

If you have an iPhone and use it on the waterfront check this out:

http://www.lifeproof.com/lifeproof-stor ... 5Qod4guANg

A real 100% underwater waterproof iPhone case! Take your iphone in the shower or surf with you waterproof.... Either of which would be really annoying if you ask me.... but a lot more effective waterproofing than the popular "Otter Box" which wouldn't even survive a good splash. I came across it looking for a better dust-proofing solution than the quart size zip lock for when I'm working in my shop.

Peter
JeremyD

Post by JeremyD »

I have yet to try my ipad - I know with my iphone - in direct sunlight I have to adjust the screen brightness all the way up to see in direct sunlight - but I usually have to do this for my Lowrance too.

It decreases battery time - but I also just added a new cigarette lighter 12V source so I can keep it plugged in on the bridge in it's new mount. (it seems to pick up signals for GPS faster when it's plugged in too)

Went to the boat show on Sunday - and there were all kinds of covers/waterproof for iPhone and iPads out there. (some you can dive with - seriously)
JeremyD

Post by JeremyD »

Just an update on this.

With the Wifi version of the Ipad2 - to perform gps functions outside of the wifi network - you really need one of the Apple approved GPS external receivers. I chose the Dual one because of the Bluetooth access and because it has a nifty rubber holder.

When you sync the GPS receiver and download the "app" it gives you a screen that shows status

This picture shows you the size

Here it is on the boat - not bad with the screen brightness up

All in all - works great - I buzzed a few known markers and the GPS is dead on -
In Memory Walter K

How expensive is that addition, and am I to understand that you need this once out of wifi range?
JeremyD

Post by JeremyD »

under $90 at Amazon - and yes - apparently the GPS function on the WiFi models triangulate on the wifi network(s) no matter if connected directly or not. This works fine if you stay coastal in a populated area.

I originally hooked this up right after Christmas (got the iPad Ram Mount) and took the boat for a spin along the coast. Yep - no issues.

New Year's eve - we took the boat to look at fireworks - got out in the middle of the bay - and no worky... cause I was outside Wifi range.

Luckily I had a back up - and luckily I know these waters pretty well. Should be good now -

Gotta figure at some point someone will come up with a bluetooth enabled hard mounted gps antenna. for now this will work.
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

The IPad is a remarkable device and I have seen it used on a friend's boat this summer -- looked identical in its charting to his Raytheon -- one HUGE difference to keep in mind - IPads are not weather/waterproof. Knowing that the B31 does through a bit of spray you might want to make certain it is in as dry an area as possible, it is not designed for marine use, and I would not rely on it as primary nor for the ditch bag. If I am getting in my raft, I want something that will function.

My two cents.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Can you get an Otter Box for them?

Also check out this solar charger with a built in 1200mah battery for recharging cell phones (and I assume Ipads) for $15!!

http://www.bensoutlet.com/products/g24-solar
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31