Shaft couplings

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

coolair

Shaft couplings

Post by coolair »

I slid my shafts back to add the PSS shaft seals, do i need to replace my original solid couplings, or should i reuse them. Also the orginial set screws were drilled,i have not been able to find any, have them drilled or go with out safty wire??
thanks
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Matt
Reusing the propeller shaft coupling is perfectly acceptable.........as long as they still fit properly.

The coupling should have a "Bump Fit" on the shaft.

I have seen many of the coupling without safety wire.....and many that did have the safety wire.....and the wire not installed properly.

Its not a big deal to drill them yourself with vise and a hand drill....or even Vise Grips and a hand drill......I would say do it.

I'm also using the PSS shaft seals on DeNada.....really looking forward to a dry bildge.

hb
hb
coolair

Post by coolair »

I thought so, just needed to double check. I have a drill press, i will just drill them at the shop. The PSS are very nice, if i can ever get the boat running again it will be nice to have a dry bildge as you said
Thanks Harry
Thanks
Matt
Hull #315 - 854
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I am still using mine. As long as they fit well and are still true go for it. I did away with the lock wire on mine. PSS are great!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31