Moriches inlet claims 2 boats in 2 days.

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

In Memory Walter K

Moriches inlet claims 2 boats in 2 days.

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I like my Striped Bass, but.... Seems like two guys braved that treacherous inlet in small boats alone and lost heir boats but thankfully, not their lives. I used to do nutty stuff like that in my Boston Whaler when I was in my 20's, but these guys were 40 and 75. They will recover and then their wives will kill them.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

I heard this too but no further details. Were they navigating the inlet or fishing the breakwaters?

The front of the inlet is a giant sandbar and it's pretty common that guys get right into the middle of the breaking waves. It's held bass all year long and you can find a number of guys on nor'east who post photos and videos regularly.

Personally I think they're crazy, I fish moriches bay quite a bit with the flats boat. The inlet is really bad, there is a reason the CG has labelled it non-navigable.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
randall

Post by randall »

the point and turtle cove were way overhead with a very brisk off shore wind today. any ocean facing inlet would not have been fun.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

now 3 boats in 3 days. rescued by suffolk marine police inlet to rough for coasties.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Bob-What was the third one?
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Is there an actual rescue boat at moriches CG station or does it have to come from shinnecock?
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Walter that 3rd sinking was all over the news as a matter of fact on channel seven news (nyc) . boat was a cc and owner was by himself. Moriches has RIB. with twin outboards . one more time; CC on long island south shore are the eyes of homeland security unless it is a major (life in peril ) rescue offshore most likely rescue will be done by police if so equip but moniter by CC.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
captbone

Post by captbone »

Moriches has a 25ft Safeboat just like any other station. I am not sure where these rumors of the USCG not doing SAR anymore start from but they are completely incorrect.
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Last boat at 11:40 pm Nov 10th a 20 foot Shamrock capsized. Boater was saved by Suffolk County Marine Bureau patrol. First boat at 1pm Nov 9th a 1974 Silverline capsized in large waves. Boater was saved by Suffolk County Marine Bureau patrol. Then at 2:45pm another distress call, a 27 foot Grady-White capsized and boater was saved by a boat crew from East Moriches Coast Guard Station.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

brewster the end results is all hands safe. the total picture in the NY. area is a coordinated effort . i have to be a little discreet here so lets say there are two completely armed f-15d eagles hidden in a hanger manned and flown by USAF combat pilots on 3 minute notice . this is the top of the pecking order down to a 21' whaler by a local volunteer fire dept. as you can see the suffolk police marine guys were still involve with the first rescue when the second bang in. there is also the 106 ANG. rescue team at Westhampton . trust me all of it is moniter and sent to the closest equip agency. this is ny use your head!!! a boat with a hand held surface to air rocket is not going to be handed off to the local fire department!!! all part off desk top alert computer software.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Whaler1777

Post by Whaler1777 »

captbone unless you are active CG and have some info that I don't have? I'm going to tell you that you are incorrect... Almost all the people that have been rescued in NY harbor and offshore within almost any range will tell you that the first ones there and those that have rescued have been rescued by harbor PD. Who's on the boat with a crash pump? Yes, PD.. It has been mentioned here before and now its mentioned again, you are getting first hand information here! The PD's helo's are up in the air faster than you can get off the toilet bowl upon receiving a water rescue call... Read: Full time 24/7, 365 rescue divers are ALWAYS on the air/sea rescue ship and yes they are willing to go 90 miles offshore without a second thought when it comes to saving a life... No one is saying that the Coasties aren't going to respond, the PD is going to be the first one on scene... Most times they actually get the jobs first over 16 or even landline phone calls and then relay them to the PD because they KNOW that we are going to get there first...
'79 Bertram 31' Sedan
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Crash pumps, now that is something I have not seen used in a long time. Does the PD pick up any flack for interfering with commercial salvage?

I remember the days when they tried to save boats but now there are too many lawsuits. Really gets my goat.

Things just are not how they used to be.
Whaler1777

Post by Whaler1777 »

Nah Kevin... You know, saving lives is the utmost priority in our business... If its a viable, safe option to throw in a 110 pump or even the honda pump we will do it and try save some poor bastrds boat... Not really thinking about getting sued...
'79 Bertram 31' Sedan
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

thank whaler tell it like it is first hand!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

Whaler1777 wrote:captbone unless you are active CG and have some info that I don't have? I'm going to tell you that you are incorrect....
sorry to answer for you bone and "blow up your spot"

BUT capt bone IS very much USCG

ok, thats all
Whaler1777

Post by Whaler1777 »

Thats why I asked... Carry on lol...
'79 Bertram 31' Sedan
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

That's what I like about this Board, the vast amount of experience that is represented here. I'm glad that we have the number of pros on Board providing us information. Captbone, do you mind sharing where you are serving us taxpayers and in what capacity. Likewise Whaler, are you CG, Marine Police or other branch that serves us in our marine environment. As others often comment, there is no better place than this Board to get serious information......keep it up guys!

PS: Kevin, are you still in law enforcement or have you gone civilian on us (don't answer if it's classified)?
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Tommy,

Still involved with maritime law enforcement.

Great weather year round I get to do something I enjoy.

I think I am about a half inch shorter now than back in 2000 though!
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Kevin,

I find that those thick rubber mats do a great job serving as a shock absorber for your vertebra (found mine at West). Keep up the good work guys.

Tommy