Radical idea? or pure genius?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

PeterPalmieri wrote:Tony,

In reading the story of the 38 install it didn't increase the draft on that boat, unless I read it wrong.
Peter

I have to look around but I thought when he was posting his progress he said it did increase the draft. I can't see how it can't. I

I realize we like clean transome's but if you hung stern drives off the back and used a jack shaft you would be better off. At least you would not shear anything off and you would get better speed and fuel economy. Now how would all this effect trim and the bow proud ride. We will probably never know in our lifetime.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

I love that "bracket" !!!
Houses the Motor and Sterndrive in one package.
Kind of like an Inboard / Outboard Outboard, an I/O-O for short.

Whats good too, if the boat was to hit something and start to sink...the crew and passengers could detach the I/O-O from the boat and drive that back to Port....just like the Dish detaching from the Hull on the New Star Trek...well actually the Old Star Trek that is newer then the old old Star Trek with Mr Spock And Capt Kirk.

Forward facing, rear facing POD, who cares they both are designed to shear off when struck. I have heard that works well. One issue from one that sheared off and was hauled down the block from here...the POD sheared and the other was fine...but the sheared POD dangled under the boat on cables or something, so when they tried to make headway to Port the POD crashed into the Hull as they moved.

If the other brands of PODS do break away completely, then you have another benefit of being able to sing...

My POD-Y lays under the Ocean--
My POD-Y lays under the Sea--

Oh Please Bring back my POD-Y to Me.
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Sim, I use my pod-y for #1 or #2....Ill keep my old school shaft n strut combo...BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Sim

There is a cable that holds the pod so you don't loose it. Never thought about it slamming into the hull or the other pod. Plus, coming in one engine dragging that thing can't be too cool.

Imagine coming home from the hudson with one pod hanging, then have to cross a breaking bar at the inlet. Bad enough with a straight inboard.

What happens when pod starts dragging across the shallow bottom while you are crossing the bay? I can imagine all kinds of bad things.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Try docking in reverse.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Tony Meola wrote:Sim

There is a cable that holds the pod so you don't loose it. Never thought about it slamming into the hull or the other pod. Plus, coming in one engine dragging that thing can't be too cool.

Imagine coming home from the hudson with one pod hanging, then have to cross a breaking bar at the inlet. Bad enough with a straight inboard.

What happens when pod starts dragging across the shallow bottom while you are crossing the bay? I can imagine all kinds of bad things.
So it's an actual cable...no chance of loosing them, huh...no chance of me getting to sing My Pod-Y song...that's it then, that's the straw that broke the camels back for me...no My Pod-Y song, No Pods! I'll have to stick with those old tech, tried and true straight inboards.

No Pod-Y knows the troubles I've seen.
No Pod-Y knows...